Here's a great example of the stock appearing theme ... Jame's 1987 Grand National. Having known James for many years, I can tell you from first hand experience that this car is detailed down to the individual bolt and is always in tip top trim. Hard to believe that this car is capable of high 11 second quarter mile times, isn't it?! Well, it definitely is and it never ceases to amaze people. This is a outstanding example of a Recipe car done with care and precision. It proves what can be done with minimal modifications, careful combination selection, and tuning.
- Factory stock engine, no aftermarket cam or ported cylinder heads
- Comp Cams #979 replacement valve springs
- 160 degree Thermostat
- Manual fan switch
- Stock ported exhaust manifolds
- TA-49 Turbo w/stock Garrett .63 exhaust housing
- Terry Houston 3" stainless steel down pipe
- Stock ported (62mm) throttle body and 1/2" plenum spacer
- True 2-1/2" ID mandrel bent up-pipe (bought through JC Whitney)
- 2-3/4" BGC aluminized dual exhaust system
- ATR stretched stock location intercooler
- Home made cold air induction kit
- Red Armstrong single in-tank (Quad Air Inc.) XP Plus fuel pump (hot-wired)
- Red Armstrong (Quad Air Inc.) Volt Booster
- Red Armstrong billet aluminum adjustable fuel pressure regulator
- Bowling Green Customs liquid filled fuel rail FP gauge
- 36lb/hr bluetop fuel injectors
- GM Hydromatic 200 4R
- B&M Transpak kit
- Manual torque converter lock-up switch
- B&M transmission cooler
- Modified stock GM D5 torque converter by Dan Boxdorfer, 2,800 rpm stall
- Stock front and rear w/adjustable Competition Engineering shocks
- Air bags in both rear springs
- Adjustable pinion snubber
- S10 rear wheel brake cylinders
- Aluminum rear brake drums
- Front swaybar removed
- Front stock wheels 15" x 7"
- Rear widened stock GN wheels 15" x 8" w/Nitto 275/50-15 drag radials
- 11.82@115 MPH with a 1.62 sixty foot time
- Expecting mid 11s soon!
- Car racing weight is 3,390 pounds without driver.
- Calculated horsepower is (5.825 / 11.84) x 3,580lbs. = 430hp
- Tuning done withTurboLink software with boost sensing option.
Planned modifications for 2001
- 009 fuel injectors
- Mark Hueffman Big Mouth Cold Air Kit
- Precision Turbo & Engine PTA-51/52 hydrid turbo
- Mark Jackson 20 row stock location intercooler
- Hemco stock appearing intake plenum
- Boxed rear lower control arms w/GM 1LE bushings
- ScanMaster II install
- MORE BOOST!!!