PDA

View Full Version : No 2nd to 1st downshift

dverdu
08-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Hey all,
Glad to see the discussion group back up and running. I just put a tranny in the GN. When coming to a stop the trans hesitates and does not want to shift from second to first gear. About 50% of the time it shifts (but stutters when it does) the other 50% the car will just stall out. The only way to prevent this is to manually shift into 1st gear. I,ve checked fluid level, adjusted the TV cable a couple times and poured some trans additive in thinking it might be a stuck seal or something. Any suggesttion would be appreciated. I would like to take the GN on the Woodward cruise but it would be a pain having the trans acting up. Thanks

TerryH
08-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Boy this place is scary quiet..... but you have bragging rights to the first post. :)

Hopefully a trans expert will appear.

JackEvers
08-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Don't mean to step on your thread, but just reactivated my account (been a member since 1997) and wanted to make sure it works.

Keller
08-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Hmm...didn't think the word was out yet. We're really not ready to release this to the masses yet. So let's keep things quiet while we get things ready for production, shall we?

But any good question deserves a good answer...

My guess is your TCC solenoid is bad, and needs to be replaced. Common failure item, and pretty easily done. However, it does require trans pan removal. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/tccsol.html and http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html from our sister Monte SS site, which we link to.

turbogn86
08-08-2004, 12:41 AM
what is not ready yet?

MeanBuicks
08-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Sounds like a sticking 1-2 valvetrain in the valve body. The valve clearances are tight and it doesn't take much to stick something. Pulling the shifter into manual low provides some hydraulic assistance to the 1-2 throttle valve spring to move the valve back.

Keller
08-08-2004, 05:51 PM
The TCC lockup will not activate in 1st, and shifting to first if its stuck on may free it. Since that solenoid failing is so common, that was why I suggested it might be the TCC staying on that was causing the car to die, and not the car failing to shift into 1st. But it could be that sort of failure as well.

How many miles on the car?

I wouldn't suggest tossing "magic elixirs" in the trans. The TRs trans is a special breed, and you really should avoid messing it up. Or messing it up further, perhaps...

dverdu
08-09-2004, 11:34 PM
I don't know how many miles are on the tranny, its from the junk yard (monte ss). However, I did remove the connector for the TCC solenoid, 3rd & 4th gear. The tranny still didn't down shift correctly, once it warmed up though then it started to shift correctly. I'll replace the TCC solenoid this week and hopefully that will solve the problem. Ultimately, I will rebuild the old tranny with some heavy duty components. Thanks for the tip.

Keller
08-10-2004, 02:09 AM
Be careful... Not all the 200-4R connectors are guaranteed to be wired the same for each application. That alone can cause you headaches. Mixing components from different apps can be a nightmare if you aren't reeeaaal careful. Not to mention, not every 200-4R has both the 3rd and 4th switch. Helps to have the Helm (GM) book on the tranny for all applications.

dverdu
08-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Good point. The Monte Carlo SS transmission did not have a 3rd or 4th gear switch (forget which one). Also, the connector only used two terminals, not four like the GN transmission. I used the switch, TCC solenoid and connector from the GN transmssion. Now that I'm thinking of it I was having the same 2nd to 1st gear issue with the GN transmission.Only when the transission was hot though. Once I replace the TCC solenoid I'll write a thread and give the outcome. Thanks

FAIRWAY
08-15-2004, 03:36 PM
You can unplug the TCC solenoid on the driver's side of the tranny and see
if it is better. If it runs ok then, it is your solenoid, about $55.

John

zbuickman
09-04-2004, 09:31 PM
not entirely true. mine went bad and some how would pull in the cluth and would not release. even with it unpluged. Good news is they are a cheap fix and it definatly sounds as though its your problem. :)