PDA

View Full Version : PCV Valve, yes or no?

TurboSportCoupe
09-03-2007, 12:33 AM
In my 1978 TR was there ever a PCV valve? I have gone to part stores they have showed me a PCV valve there computer say it for my car. I can't find one under the hood, I've looked on the head cover with no luck. Is it somewhere else?

TurboSportCoupe
09-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Even the repair manual I have shows a filter no on the head cover but with rubber tubing from either end. Since these books cover all the G-body regals and rwd centurys. Finding information on specifics is tough. This is one of the most annoying things I have ever dealt with to date. Well there was that power steering hose that didn't fit on my riv, but that's a story for another day.
(I'm only twenty-two though and my exp with cars isn't that vast yet.)

usetaboost
09-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Good question. I don't ever remember one on my 79. If the part store carries one I can almost guarantee it isn't for your car. Why? Because I have yet to find an aftermarket one for my 87T. If you do have one on there just clean it out and throw it back on unless you can find one on the boards for sale. I could be wrong but I think 78 was the year when the turbo motor was offered on four buicks. So the setup is pretty much the same. If you find a pic of an original unmonkeyed engine and see a valve-there u go.

usetaboost
09-17-2007, 12:40 AM
if you don't have much experience with cars, buy a honda :lmao: J/K! Just to be fair, these are 20+ year old cars we are all dealing with. Be ready for the unknown and unexpected. Example: The 87 regal limited that was very well kept by an elderly man I recently obtained had bad vac hoses, some surface rust underneath(imagine that in IOWA!), needed entire tune up, still need to obtain a dualjet that doesn't have the pump rod wore out and has good tps voltage-3.62 at WOT isn't good, then 2 days after I bought it the heater core went out, but its gettin there :yesnod:

TurboSportCoupe
09-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Actually the car has little rust, most of it is surface. I had purchased my 78 last February.(My riv wasn't going to hold out any longer.<Funny story about my old riv, but that's for another day.>). The car had bad tires and worn out shocks, almost killed myself one night. It just snowed and I was leaving the campus after coming back from Chicago. Things are better now, though the engine does need a good tune-up and I have new tires too. Which is good because winters start early in Iowa.