PDA

View Full Version : front mount intercooler

ajt86
12-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey guys- i just got an 87GN with a front mounted intercooler- the guy painted it black and its all chipping and it makes it look like **** through the grill seeing a black intercooler with peeling paint- is there anyway i can put this in my blast cabinet and use aluminum oxide to try to blast it as gently as possible without messing the fins up?

Turbo2nr
12-17-2004, 07:24 AM
I own a Dental Lab and have glass beads, walnut shells, and 50micron aluminum oxide blasting media. I say Yes. I would not use anything over 150micron. 250micron feels like beach sand, 50 micron almost looks like flour. I guess it would make a mess to chemicaly strip. How about gasoline?

Turbo2nr
12-17-2004, 07:41 AM
I forgot to say use the spelling "Chit". Or check out the crazy guys at "T6P.com".

ajt86
12-17-2004, 10:34 PM
hey man- thanks for all the help with the scan tool info and sandblasting- we have some really fine glassbead at the shop maybe ill take the intercooler off next week- im the car up monday from the guy i got it off of :) just gotta replace the upper door pannels and the driver side t top weatherstripping wich is already on the way- well thanks again man

Turbo2nr
12-18-2004, 08:23 AM
I have heard that "Easy-Off" oven cleaner does a good job on aluminum. Like T-Type wheels, and other rough surfaces. I have never tried it, but it is a strong Base (not an acid) to chemicaly etch the metal clean. Try it first in a hidden area.

Keller
12-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Be careful what you try to 'paint' it with. First, it is a part that gets HOT. Second, the wrong paints won't stick and they also will degrade the effectiveness of the intercooler.

If you were expecting a suggestion as to what to use...sorry, I don't have one. A few areas I touched up on my intercooler have already started to bubble up. ChargedAir had volumes on their site about the process used to coat their (stock style) intercoolers, but they are out of business. I recall it being a powder coat process, but I may be wrong.