PDA

View Full Version : no power, rough idle, code 42

turbonick1
12-18-2004, 02:10 AM
i have an 87 GN. this one is griving me crazy
my GN runs rough at idle(checked for vacuum leaks) and feels like it has no power when you get on it. it is not skipping but it just feels like something is holding it back. the turbo is a stock reman and is making full boost.
it is also intermittantly setting code 42.
i have wiggled all connectors and performed the tap test on the MAF sensor with a scan tool. do these cars have an ecs module(eletronic spark control) like some other gm vehicles
if the engine runs better with the MAF unpluged is this definetly a bad MAF

any help would be greatly appreciated

Turbo2nr
12-18-2004, 07:43 AM
So you can get a scan tool, or you own one? Is the MAF around 6-8 at idle? Can you find someone with a known good MAF to try out?

turbonick1
12-19-2004, 02:45 AM
i have a snap-on scanner. it is reading b/w 5-10 at idle. i dont know anyone with a gn to try a good MAf. i have heard the replacement remans are crap.should i just go ahead and install a bigger MAF and translator

Turbo2nr
12-19-2004, 04:17 AM
You may have a chip that is not properly seated, loose connection somewhere in the ECM plug, or a temporary short/loose connection in charging system, bad ground somewhere, or at worse, a bad ECM. Something like that.

Start with the chip, then move on to charging system, then start checking all sorts of wiring.