PDA

View Full Version : Hot and Spicy 11 Sec Exhaust System

kna4977
09-18-2007, 04:48 PM
My GN currently has it's factory setup with stock downpipe, catalytic converter (may be gutted haven't checked yet), and new piping from the cat back with a single flowmaster muffler in the stock location and dual pipes out of it. I've been looking at the Hot and Spicy Recipe and the 1500 Eleven Second Recipe and see that they upgraded to a 3 inch downpipe, 2 & 1/2" free flowing dual exhaust or Hooker Cat Back Exhaust and Dump Pipe or converter Test Tube with cutout which I think is the same.

kna4977
09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
1. Do I need to do all of this or just parts of it?

2. What's the purpose of the dump pipe, test tube, is it necessary?

3. Is this still the recommended setup or is there something better now?

87geeinn
09-19-2007, 09:26 AM
To answer the questions, we need to know the mods/what your car is capable as it is now. But...

1)No, but everything to help the exhaust flow better post turbo will help.

2)A test pipe is just a straight piece of pipe that bolts in the same location as the catalytic converter does. A dump pipe is a test pipe only it has a small extension that can be uncovered so that the exhaust exits before the mufflers and directly into the atmosphere. It's just my opinion/personal preference, but I would just get a test pipe and skip the dump pipe. Just keep in mind any emissions requirements you may have to be subjected to.

3) Can't go wrong with the Hooker 2 1/2". Sounds good and many are running it with good results. Plus it comes with a test pipe. However, there are many other systems that are good too. Just do a search.

Lastly, Flowmasters are not designed for are cars and don't work well with turbo applications.

kenmosher
09-19-2007, 09:26 AM
1. To go 11s, you'll probably need all of it

2. Dump pipe/test pipe is a cheap alternative ... instead of running thru the exhaust you open the dump and bypass the exhaust. Before the really nice exhaust systems hit the market, this was the way we got the performance. With a really good flowing system, it's not necessary (I don't use one any more).

3. Pretty much as good as it gets ...

kna4977
09-19-2007, 09:32 AM
To answer the questions, we need to know the mods/what your car is capable as it is now.

My car would probably be classified as a strong running baseline stock car. Dynoed at 210 RWHP and 304 RWTQ which should put it somewhere in a 14.19 to 14.40 1/4 mile time depending on how much it weighs. Optioned just like all the GNXs were, but without the power seat and trunk kit. Will post my mods in my signature

Overboost
10-01-2007, 08:58 PM
mine had a 3.5 DP and a 3" exhaust all the way back. with nothing more than a FM intercooler, TE 60 turbo and fat injectors, I was getting 12.4 quarter all day long, that is, until my motor decided to give up the ghost and go kapooie....

ed39
10-01-2007, 10:38 PM
if you want the car to sound mean the dump pipe off makes it sound sweet...but im 19 sooooo. i have the 2.5 atr cat back exhaust works real well. i also out a 3 inch down pipe on that made a huge diffrence. with complete exhaust turbo back id say is worth 40hp. and you should get high 13s out of your car

Keller
10-02-2007, 12:20 AM
:ugh: I went high 13's with a stock exhaust and cat. Just a chip change, and not even a good chip at that. A good exhaust, chip change, and other basics like a fuel pump should get you well on your way toward 12's.