PDA

View Full Version : "hot side" MAF...

383mazda
10-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Hello,
I have been reading Bruce's "experiment" where he took an LT1 MAF and stuck it right before the TB. On a couple of other posts concerning MAF translators I've gathered that you can just "swap" an LT1, LS1, ect MAF onto the buick with a translator and be good to go.
Is it really that simple? And does it matter if it's before or after the Turbo?

Brandon

kenmosher
10-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Yes, you have to have a translator to use a late model MAF ...

It's simple in the stock location, but Bruce was DEEP into the calibration and tuning to make it work on the hot side ... it wasn't plug and play.

PaCemkr86
10-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes, you have to have a translator to use a late model MAF ...

It's simple in the stock location, but Bruce was DEEP into the calibration and tuning to make it work on the hot side ... it wasn't plug and play.

ditto..

they work flawless in the stock location, ive seen others that have moved theres right before the TB and usually move them back to the stock location.

383mazda
10-13-2007, 06:39 PM
If you're going to keep it in the stock location, is there an advantage to the "newer" MAF's?

PaCemkr86
10-13-2007, 06:50 PM
yes they are bigger, and work great with a translator.. im using a Z06 MAF that uses the built in IAT sensor
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z250/pacemkr86/IMG_2215.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z250/pacemkr86/IMG_2063.jpg

383mazda
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Why would placing it after the turbo require more tuning than putting it where the stock unit goes?
(if there's an article on this that does go further in depth I wouldn't mind reading that rather than playing 20 questions :))

PaCemkr86
10-16-2007, 02:53 PM
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/mafrelocate.html

383mazda
10-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Someone mentioned that he did a lot of tuning to get that running right, but he doesn't say anything specific about that in his article.
My goal is to have a BOV on my car. From what I've read a BOV will only work [properly] when it's in front of the MAF. I work for STS turbo, so I can make my own "custom" up pipe that will fit nice and put a BOV on for pretty cheap. But if reloacating the MAF is a big deal I'll drop the project (cause I'm in school right now, and the car has lastes 120k miles without a BOV) The second big question is what about meth injection? I have one on my car right now, but putting a MAF right in front of the TB would couse it to be sprayed my meth when I get into boost, which I don't think would be a good thing, or would it not matter?

PaCemkr86
10-20-2007, 03:47 PM
i ran a BOV on mine in with the maf in stock loction.. worked fine.. there is a DEFCO function in the PCM so running a bov on a stock location maf is perfectly fine.. and there are no driveabilty problems with doing that

although i remove mine after i added alky, for the same reason you mention about alky blowing everywhere under hood. and also found out the BOV wasnt really needed anyway. even though on my greddy type R had a threaded hole where i could have vented out from under the engine bay

383mazda
10-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Okay,
I've just heard that if you have a BOV after the MAF, once you let off the gas and you "shoot" the extra air into the "atmosphere" the car will stumble for a bit cause there's less air going into the motor than the MAF said there would be.
I'll give it a shot than and see how it work over Christmas... I know a BOV isn't necessary for these cars, but I can get it cheap, do a good install, and I think a BOV sounds better / more serious than the "duck call" that comes with the stock GN's, lol.

Keller
10-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I can get it cheap, do a good install, and I think a BOV sounds better / more serious than the "duck call" that comes with the stock GN's
And what does all that do for performance? IMHO, really not necessary.

383mazda
10-27-2007, 11:55 AM
(Hey Scott, this is Brandon Davies, Bob Davies is my dad, we used to live up in Chesterfield with the Rosewood T-Type with the ground effects on them.)
I know the BOV won't do anything performance wise... kind of like getting new wheels, "it'll just look cool." But Also we have 4 people driving this car, two of them are teenagers... telling them to lift slowly after a hard pull goes in one ear and out the other. And even though these cars have survived since the 80's without BOV's, I've got image that it'll be a little easier on the turbo than the "surging" any time you get into boost.
My only concern is will it cause more problems since it will be releasing air that the MAF has already counted??

PaCemkr86
10-28-2007, 01:08 PM
the car will run fine, venting the un metered air... i have done this..
the HKS SSQV works the best

383mazda
11-03-2007, 01:50 PM
I think I'll try it then... it probably won't be till around Christmas, but I'll make sure to take pictures and let everyone know how it goes. By the way, will this work with a stock MAF, or do you need to upgrade?

PaCemkr86
11-03-2007, 03:39 PM
yup.. works fine with stock maf