PDA

View Full Version : EGT gauge( pyrometer)

86GNGUY
10-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Just wondering which is the best egt gauge for tuning turbo buicks, and where can you get it. Also i've heard that you should tune for around 1500--- 1550 deg. should put you right on the money, is this true? And where is the best place to mount the probe, for the easiest install, i know that pre-turbo is most accurate, but if you mount it post turbo , how many degrees do you have to add to the reading? i 'd say post turbo would be safer for not getting metal filings in the exaust turbine, as they would go out the exaust pipe. This seems to be an easy way to get your air - fuel ratio correct. Anyone with info on this would be helpful thanks ---86GNGUY.

kenmosher
10-18-2007, 09:38 AM
There is no magic number ... brand of gauge, probe type, location of the probe (even an inch can change the numbers), type of fuel, chip timing, etc. can all affect the readings.

Mounting post turbo will actually be COOLER than preturbo ... the turbo uses the heat in the exhaust as work to compress the charge.

You can use the EGT in conjunction with other scan tool readings and track tuning to help tune, but it's not a magic bullet.