PDA

View Full Version : SMC Alky kit question

T-TopFlyer
11-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Got the kit and plan to start the installation today. Looks fairly straight forward, but I have a question about where to place the nozzle.

Stock Intercooler: ...draw a line on the lower end underneath side of the inlet pipe where the intercooler hose stops then to drill a hole 2 inches up from that on the backside.

Front Mount: ...nozzle can be installed to the left or right side of the throttle body end of the inlet pipe ~ 2 inches back from where the intercooler stops.

I don't have a front mount, but most of the kits I've seen installed have it at the throttle body location. I never payed too much attention whether those cars with the kits had front mounts or stock location intercoolers.

I would think that you would want the nozzle as close to the throttle body as possible regardless of which type intercooler you had. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, Keller,...saw your post about the overflow bottle. My kit came with the same setup. Did you decide what the best option for mounting it was?

Ts86ttype
11-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I installed my SMC kit as per the instuctions since I also have a stock intercooler. It seems to work great! 24 lbs of boost and no knock. I also have wondered why not closer to the throttle body and if we call SMC he would give us a reason. I'm sure it has something to with the flow of a front mount as apposed to the stock intercooler,that would be my thought. I mounted the over flow onto the plastic fan shroud, but this spring I will be looking into a better location and bottle. The kit works great! Tom G.

PaCemkr86
11-05-2007, 11:29 PM
i know Notacarlo has a SMC kit with a stock intercooler and his is mounted near the TB, like all the others...

Im sure either way works.. I need call Steve and ask him about this...

PaCemkr86
11-05-2007, 11:32 PM
i sent steve and email.. to get an answer to this question

PaCemkr86
11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
here is his reply

Phil:
The "underneath" mounting of the nozzle on the stock TR IC pipe is mostly
for looks, as it is more hidden & out of the way mounted there.
You also need to be able to reach the nozzle head (inside the pipe) with a
7/16" wrench to tighten it in, so a "mid-pipe" location would be almost
impossible to reach!
Same goes for the FMIC pipe....on these you HAVE to mount close to the TB
in order to reach the nozzle head & tighten it. With the speed of the air
thru the pipe under boost- nozzle location doesn't make much difference as
long as it is after the IC.

Steve Chlupsa
SMC Enterprises
www.smcenterprises.com
(270)522-9376

ryan87gn
11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the research Phil. I'll be redoing mine this weekend with a new intercooler so the timing is perfect.

T-TopFlyer
11-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I finished the installation today. However, it seems to be running worse with it than it did without it. I put the nozzle 2 inches up from the line I drew on the lower end of the underneath side of the inlet pipe as the instructions stated since it doesn't appear to matter where you put it due to airflow. Thanks Phil for the research on this. I drilled a 3/8" hole, but had to hone it out slightly with a dremmel to get the nozzle to go through. I placed the nozzle through with a 7/16" wrench; placed some blue locktite on the threads and threaded the elbow onto it. I know it's working/spraying, has proper wiring etc and I have the tank full of 50:50 mix of denatured alcohol and distilled water. I left the controller set at 10 to start and 20 max as it came. I believe the boost on this car is set around 16. I took it out and tried it, but it seemed to do worse except when I would hold down on the test button. If I go above 10 psi boost I get knock. KNR went to 11.3 on my powerlogger at one point . If I hold down on the test button while accelerating, it seems to do a little better than letting the system manage itself, but I can still feel the knock. when accelerating hard, 6.2 the other time. I can't accelerate hard without knock. Not sure if it is a timing issue or a leak issue, a combination of both or something else. I hit the test button when the car was parked and running, then went and felt around where the elbow fastens to the nozzle, and felt some liquid, so it seems to be leaking slightly around the nozzle openeing. I have it secure, but I was not able to get the lower part of the nozzle gasket to seat against the inside of pipe. What should I do next?

PaCemkr86
11-06-2007, 10:41 PM
first.. remove the line from the alky nozzle, prime the test button till all the air is out.

then hook the line back up.. have somebody watch the pressure gauge on the pump while you push the test button and verify the pressure is coming up..

PS.. dont mix it either.. run it 100% meth or denatured alky...

Trust me it works ALOT better 100%

Ts86ttype
11-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Phil is right on here! Don't mix and the brass fittings might need just a quarter turn more and they will shape to the up pipe and not leak. Be carefull and tighten, then test the nossel, thats how I got mine to seal. Tom G.

PaCemkr86
11-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the research Phil. I'll be redoing mine this weekend with a new intercooler so the timing is perfect.
your welcome buddy

T-TopFlyer
11-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks, I'll retry. Methanol or denatured alky is one better than the other?

PaCemkr86
11-07-2007, 10:07 AM
either or will work fine... just make sure its 100%

T-TopFlyer
11-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Got the leaks fixed, air out. How much pressure should the gauge read?

Also, I still have the 50:50 mix in there, but I'm on my way to get some 100%. With the mix, when it sprays, the car seems to knock. Happens at 10 psi. Is that because of the mixture or is something else likely?

PaCemkr86
11-07-2007, 12:00 PM
sounds like you are gettin fuel knock.. might have the alky coming on too soon,
try tunring the start point up to 16..

are you running an alky chip ??

T-TopFlyer
11-07-2007, 01:39 PM
sounds like you are gettin fuel knock.. might have the alky coming on too soon,
try tunring the start point up to 16..

are you running an alky chip ??

It's coming on at 10. I'll reset the start point to 16 Running a turbotweak street chip, but I think I can adjust the parameters to resemble those of an alky chip with my powerlogger. I'm just trying to get the system working right functionally before I fine tune it.

PaCemkr86
11-07-2007, 02:44 PM
well you either need to turn the start spray pressure up or add more timming to it

T-TopFlyer
11-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I turned the start point up to 16, and it runs a lot better than it did coming on at 10.

Is the fuel knock as bad as lean knock?

Boost is set at 15, so I haven't run it up to where it sprays yet.

I would like to set the boost around 22-23 psi if possible.

My timing is set at 20 for 1/2 and 18 for 3/4. Should I advance it to maybe 23-24 for 1/2 and 21-22 for 3/4?

PaCemkr86
11-08-2007, 11:11 AM
leave the timming low, and set your boost at what ya wanna run at.. and make sure there is no knock

then try adding timming and more alky, after you get your tune down and see what the car likes, i think you will very happy

the timming you are talking about here sounds good to me..

Should I advance it to maybe 23-24 for 1/2 and 21-22 for 3/4?

PaCemkr86
11-08-2007, 11:12 AM
PS running 20-25 psi on alky/meth will be no problem...

what size nozzle are you running?

T-TopFlyer
11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Not sure of the nozzle size. It's the standard one that came with the kit. I'll have to ask Steve at SMC to be sure.

ryan87gn
11-08-2007, 12:17 PM
well you either need to turn the start spray pressure up or add more timming to it
Phil, are these units adjustable (volume or pressure)? I was under the impression that all we have to adjust is when it comes on and when it maxes. Sorry to jump on this thread....

PaCemkr86
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
good catch... i ment turn the dail up on the "start"

http://www.rjcracing.com/SMC_Alcohol_Injection/PROGRESSIVE_002.jpg

which is measured in boost pressure

jcawley3
11-08-2007, 10:22 PM
If you got the kit in the last month or so its a 15......you should have no problem running the boost your wanting.....

I "ran" 25psi with no KR.....with a single nozzle......I have turned it down to 20psi just because the tires asked me to!

PaCemkr86
11-08-2007, 11:49 PM
If you got the kit in the last month or so its a 15......you should have no problem running the boost your wanting.....

I "ran" 25psi with no KR.....with a single nozzle......I have turned it down to 20psi just because the tires asked me to!
LOl.. right on John.. so in your opinion was an alky kit one of your best investments ?