PDA

View Full Version : rear locking up

tomg928
11-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum..I just bought an 86 grand national. I have it for one month now. I took it out for a blast today, around the neighborhood, and on the way back home I heard a loud clanking and noticed my rear would lock up and release in seconds. I pulled it in the garage and didn't get a chance to start openning up the rear. I did notice a bad leak under the rear from the day I bought it. I'm wondering if all the gear oil leaked out and could cause somthing like this to happen. I'm not sure if the previous owner even added oil when it leaked for him.....

PaCemkr86
11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
sounds like a rear axle seal leaking and oil gettin on the brake shoes

tomg928
11-11-2007, 11:39 PM
sounds like a rear axle seal leaking and oil gettin on the brake shoes

This would cause the rear to lock up? because when I was driving the driver side rear tire actualy dragged for a second made a loud clanking and freed up........Thanks for your help.

PaCemkr86
11-11-2007, 11:41 PM
pull the wheels off and remove the brake drums and let me know what you find., unless you think you ran the rear end totally out of oil.....

tomg928
11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
pull the wheels off and remove the brake drums and let me know what you find., unless you think you ran the rear end totally out of oil.....

OK opened up the rear found minimal oil and metal chunks on the bottom, inside the rear. I'm not experienced in rears but I know its not the ring and pinion. It looks to me the driverside axle gears are broken up. Around three teeth are snaped off......These are the gears connected to the axle, I guess.... Time for a professional......I would give it a shot but if I'm not mistaken I'll need dial calipers and micrometers, to technical. Let me know what you think........Thanks again for your help Tom

PaCemkr86
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
sound like the spider gear broke.. snap a pic and post up here.. might be able to guide ya threw the repairs..

tomg928
11-12-2007, 10:47 PM
sound like the spider gear broke.. snap a pic and post up here.. might be able to guide ya threw the repairs..

I took the pictures, as soon as I figure out how to post the picture, I'll show you. By the way your car is sweeeet....Nice pictures. Now thats how a turbo buick should roll. HEAD TURNER ALL THE WAY

PaCemkr86
11-13-2007, 09:20 AM
thanks..

to attach a pic, scroll down to where it says "manage attachments"