PDA

View Full Version : Care of turbo?

WOOSHH
12-29-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm new to turbo's,any care that should be taken to avoid damage to turbo,I've read to let her idle a little before shutting her down.Also I heard not to beat on it for too long,might cause a head gasket leak. What else?

86blackt
12-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Keep oil clean, it cools the bearings!!

turbogn86
12-29-2004, 10:10 PM
they tell u to let it idle for about 30-45 seconds after u were boosting help with quite a few things...

Turbo2nr
01-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Don't feed anything to your turbo after midnight. Never talk bad about your turbo, they are very sensitive.

WOOSHH
01-01-2005, 01:03 PM
:) I'll just keep petting it.

GNXDad
01-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Don't feed anything to your turbo after midnight. Never talk bad about your turbo, they are very sensitive.

And don't let it get wet. :crackup:

Wouldn't hurt to keep a spare lying around in case it breaks. :D

Keller
01-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Spare? Why?

Just be sure not to shut down the motor immediately after a hard run. Oil is both the lube and cooling for the bearings. Keeping pressurized oil circulating oil flowing is a good idea for a minute (or two...or three) after a WOT blast isn't a bad idea.

Keeping up with oil changes is necessary as well. Other than that, ENJOY!

WOOSHH
01-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys,I'm NEW to turbo's and am hungry for info.

Turbo2nr
01-06-2005, 06:37 PM
All the talk about blowing a head gasket is mainly due to people trying too much boost for a given fuel. The higher the octane, the higher boost you can run. Detonation is the arch enemy of your motor. Too much heat in the combustion chamber can cause this. A good intercooler/fuel/big efficient turbo/alchohol injection can allow higher boost levels. Too much ignition timing for a given fuel can also cause detonation. One way to see what is going on is to get a scan tool to check out the knock values. Knock=detonation. I run 30psi on a stock block, and I never think about blowing a head gasket. I have a good front mount intercooler, run 116octane fuel, big efficient turbo that does not heat up the charge air very much, moniter knock with a laptop, also inject methanol/alchohol to further raise octane and cool charge. Keep reading this site, and asking questions before you venture off into the land of high boost. There is a relativly safe way to make power, and then there are some dangerous ways.