PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

Fast_t_type
03-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Witch is better a signal 3" exhaust or the duel 2.5'??? Do they have the same results in horse power or is one better over the other??
Thanks Paul

PaCemkr86
03-02-2008, 04:27 PM
single 3inch is lighter , and dual 2.5 is usually quieter..both will work great

Fast_t_type
03-02-2008, 07:48 PM
So really they perform the same on horse power. Just the signal 3" is lighter.
Thanks Phil

kenmosher
03-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Well, the physics will come down to the muffler(s) mostly...

Two 2.5" pipes will have more flow AREA than a single 3", but depending on the bends and the mufflers, one may outflow the others. The key is a great flowing muffler with no drone ...

My 2.5" system with Walker Ultraflows has gone 11.20s @ 122 and shows now difference capped or uncapped, so I did away with the cutout. I LOVE racing the car with the mufflers, just because it's so much fun to rip off a great E.T. in a quiet street car!

Fast_t_type
03-04-2008, 02:29 AM
I agree with that. I think that walker makes the best muffles out there. I was thinking there quiet flow. Its a strait through design with a lot of glass packed mess around the pipe that is straight through. I now have the Hooker 2.5" so from the sounds of it I will keep it till I need to shed a few pounds. Thanks for all the input
Paul

kenmosher
03-04-2008, 09:59 AM
You don't want the Quiet Flow ... You want the Performance line, which is Ultra Flow. That's what I have (like you describe, straight thru with stainless steel packing).

PaCemkr86
03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
im am also, as of last week running the Ultra flow muffler now

IL KIM
03-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Ken, PHil, Is this the Dynomax Ultraflow your talking about? http://www.dynomax.com/sounds/flash/sounds.html

Which do you have - Welded or SS? (I like quiet so I can feel my Nakamicki Amp Blaring and subwoofer.) :lmao:

PaCemkr86
03-04-2008, 11:53 PM
sorry im using a magnaflow muffler..looks very similar to the ultra flow.. its a welded muffler

Fast_t_type
03-05-2008, 12:54 AM
hay Ken the quiet flow is the same muffler. Its just got a lot of glass in it to keep it silent but deadly. If you find a site with a cut away you'll see what I mean. they made the same muffles just one is total quiet and the other has a rumble the diff is glass packed or open chambers in side. If I can find a pic I'll so you. As for Phil I'm surprised they haven't roted off yet there our compaction. LOL

kenmosher
03-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Ken, PHil, Is this the Dynomax Ultraflow your talking about? http://www.dynomax.com/sounds/flash/sounds.html

Which do you have - Welded or SS? (I like quiet so I can feel my Nakamicki Amp Blaring and subwoofer.) :lmao:
Mine are the Ultra Flow Stainless Steels (and they polish up beautifully!)

Fast_t_type
03-06-2008, 02:29 PM
I can't find the pic any where. You know what, I found a pic of the ultra flow and they look like the quiet flow mufflers in side. They looked the exact same inside. One pipe from inlet to outlet with glass backed around it. I think that there the same to tell you the truth. I think they changed the name. I haven't looked them up in 4 years. So yes those are the one I'm talking about I didn't know they changed the name or if I look at a description with the wrong pic to go with it. LOL
http://www.dynomax.com/products/ultrafloweld.html

kenmosher
03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
From Walker's site:

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/faq.asp

A Walker Quiet Flow muffler is a 3 tubed design, premium muffler that is designed for O.E. equivalent sound and precision fit.

IL KIM
03-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Any idea how many cfm we need to support for flow? Would like the quietest mufflers, but realize an engine is just an air pump - more air in, more fuel that can be added, more power...

IL KIM
03-17-2008, 10:18 PM
No comments? How do we know if 1000 cfm per muffler or 430 per muffler is enough to support our needs?

PaCemkr86
03-17-2008, 10:24 PM
No comments? How do we know if 1000 cfm per muffler or 430 per muffler is enough to support our needs?

good question..

kenmosher
03-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Don't make me get out the calculator! :lmao:

IL KIM
03-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Don't make me get out the calculator! :lmao:

Get that Hewlett Packard out and start punching Ken! Let's see, 231 cubic inches, no..., 255 MAF..., no cylinder bore x stroke x 3.1415 x 6. .. wait, temperature change and heat volume expansion :nope: somone musta done this already...

Keller
03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
A 1000 CFM carburetor can support a pretty %$#*ing powerful NA motor/car, and if that much air in can manage that, then 2x that much exhaust out ought to be able to do the job as well.

Not at all scientific, but from the 30,000 ft. level its a crude guess.

kenmosher
03-20-2008, 09:40 AM
The pressure drop across the muffler is an important factor in the CFM rating. You can make a lot of stuff flow great IF there's a large pressure drop across the restriction. Temperature of the gas and velocity will definitely affect the flow as well.

Basically, most of the straight thru style mufflers will outflow most of the chambered/tube style mufflers.