PDA

View Full Version : digial gauges question

socalstunna
03-09-2008, 11:35 PM
it have a 86' turbo regal and it has the digital speedometer, gas, and trip meter.

i was just curious how rare it is to find a car with this option.
i dont think ive ever seen another t-type with the digital gauges.

thanks guys

Keller
03-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Not that popular, but not that rare. I've seen a fair number of TRs with the digital gauges. Certainly in the minority. IMHO, not a very good package. The only saving grace, perhaps, is having the 188 MPH speedo upgrade available from Casper's Electronics.

socalstunna
03-11-2008, 03:34 AM
is that so my speedometer will read above 80mph haha.
just blinks at me at that point

Keller
03-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Yes...it will fix that.

turbofish38
03-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I'd have to disagree with Scott. Just about all of my turbo cars are digital and I dont really see a difference. Same useless 85 speedo. Inaccurate fuel gauge. Boost lights instead of a screwed up Tach-a-Boost. About the only advantage to digital is the ability to switch from US to Metric with the turn of the odometer knob. It's always fun to see how many miles to the liter you get on road trips.

From my travels in my many years of Buicks I'd say the digital was a popular option on the 86 cars. If I had to guesstimate I'd say at least half of the 8,000 TR's have digital in that year. Probably because it was a $100-$150 option. Most 86's have all of the toys or none of the toys. In 87 it wasn't that popular because of the option constraints for that year. I'd say maybe 10-15% of the TR's in 87 have it. I'm not sure what the price was but it was a bit more than $200 in 87.

socalstunna
03-19-2008, 07:01 PM
that was kinda my feeling also.
i think the digital dash gives it a much cooler look as well.
Very Knight Rider like haha.

As far as the fuel inaccuracy goes, is there a way to get it more reliable.
Im pretty sure mine reads about 3 gallons to high.
In addition, it will stay a "F" for a very long time, then plummet quickly after that.

any suggestions?

thank you