PDA

View Full Version : problem with new turbocharger

and7barton
12-31-2004, 03:03 PM
I have a Garrett T45 that is causing problems.
I purchased it in a private deal - not from a company, although it was brand new and still sealed in shrink wrap.
The problem is that although it spins freely, smoothly and silently, with no play, when the bearings are fed with pressurised oil from my oil pump, the turbine stops dead and can only be turned with the fingers by using considerable force. Upon ceasing the oil feed, the turbine immediately spins freely once again.
My oil pressure is approximately 40 p.s.i.
Can anyone advise me of the possible cause of this problem...... I have tried "running it in", using an electric motor to spin it at a few hundred rpm for half an hour or so, but it hasn't improved the situation.
Should the oil pressure be less ?
I'd appreciate your comments.
Thanks -
Richard Barton.

Turbo2nr
01-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Why are you playing with your turbo like that? Just put it on and run it, on your car!

and7barton
01-01-2005, 04:56 PM
I already have a turbocharger on my car - This problem turbo is on another.... er...... little project I've built..... nothing to do with my car.
You can probably guess what.

Turbo2nr
01-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Ahhhh yes. I too, have always dreamed of having a turbocharged ice cream maker.

brad_padgett
01-01-2005, 08:48 PM
I would first check to see if you have a pressurized block. This situation prevents oil from draining out of the turbo into the lifter valley. The cause-engine rebreather being blocked. If the rebreather is OK, I would call Limit Engineering and ask for a tech. They really helped me solve my 85 GN problem. Brad