PDA

View Full Version : cleaning engine bay?

drewt1047
03-21-2008, 11:04 AM
What is the best way to clean the engine bay? Can you use Gumout like any other car?

How about cleaning the fuel injectors?

What is a good cleaner to use to clean out the intercooler?

Keller
03-21-2008, 10:38 PM
I'd suggest Simple Green for the engine bay. Perhaps the IC, to. Though maybe Gumout would be better there. Be careful about getting water/fluids in the MAF or any electrical connections.

Techron (not cleaner "with" techron) is good for injector cleaning in-tank. Removal and use of a machine is the best way.

drewt1047
03-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks I am trying to follow the spring cleaning list to make sure my car runs right.

JST A 6
03-31-2008, 11:36 PM
I used Simple Green for the intercooler both inside and out, then since a more TR-experienced friend of mine had told me to use gasoline to flush it out I did that too just to make sure I got it clean and the gas came out clean when I dumped it so I think the Simple Green did a pretty good job. I then rinsed it with plain water and used my shop vac to blow the inside of it dry for 1/2 hour or so--my vac has a large diameter hose so it fit into the intercooler/up pipe boot perfectly for this.

Mike

1987 http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/24vCTD/powersix_graemlin.gifGRAND NATIONAL (http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=11893)
Many changes planned but for now it has:
TE44 turbo
MSD 50 lb. injectors
Turbo Tweak 93 octane street chip
RJC Power Plate
VDO boost gauge in pillar
adjustable FP regulator
Hotwired fuel pump
Fuel pressure gauge
8" K&N cone filter
ESP coil pack
160° thermostat
test pipe w/ cutout
Flowmaster exhaust
Scanmaster 2.1

PaCemkr86
04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
i removed my engine and trans and used "oven cleaner" on the frame etc... came out spotless, then i painted it

drewt1047
04-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Would you suggest using a power washer to spray the engine bay?

JST A 6
04-05-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm not going to say it's a bad idea, but like Scott said you gotta watch where the water goes, and also I wouldn't do it with the engine hot. When I did mine a couple of weeks ago I covered my breathers, air filter, and coil pack but didn't think to cover the alternator and now I have a new one to install due to a squeaky bearing on the one that got wet.

Mike

1987 http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/24vCTD/powersix_graemlin.gifGRAND NATIONAL (http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=11893)
TE44 turbo
MSD 50 lb. injectors
RJC Power Plate
adjustable FP regulator
Hotwired fuel pump
Fuel pressure gauge
8" K&N cone filter
ESP coil pack
160° thermostat
test pipe w/ cutout
Flowmaster exhaust
Scanmaster 2.1

BoostedEvIL
04-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Oven Cleaner! Thats an awesome idea Phil. Would you say that its more "potent" than engine cleaner? Did you use a steel brush on the frame, or did the oven clear eat away the paint? Did you use paint on the frame, or that Por-15 stuff? I'm gonna try this out.

413turbo
04-13-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm not going to say it's a bad idea, but like Scott said you gotta watch where the water goes, and also I wouldn't do it with the engine hot. When I did mine a couple of weeks ago I covered my breathers, air filter, and coil pack but didn't think to cover the alternator and now I have a new one to install due to a squeaky bearing on the one that got wet.

Mike

TE44 turbo
MSD 50 lb. injectors
RJC Power Plate
adjustable FP regulator
Hotwired fuel pump
Fuel pressure gauge
8" K&N cone filter
ESP coil pack
160° thermostat
test pipe w/ cutout
Flowmaster exhaust
Scanmaster 2.1

i feel like a dumb**s, but after i hosed my engine last week, i went and had new bearings pressed on my alternator, because it was sweaking. now i removed the belt first, and turned everything the alternator sweaked.. but it ended up being the belt.. i'm embarassed, but new bearing are cheap insurance- so all isn't lost.
darren

PaCemkr86
04-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Oven Cleaner! Thats an awesome idea Phil. Would you say that its more "potent" than engine cleaner? Did you use a steel brush on the frame, or did the oven clear eat away the paint? Did you use paint on the frame, or that Por-15 stuff? I'm gonna try this out.
i used the oven cleaner and a paint scraper,rinsed with water hose and just some cheap gloss black paint when i was done

jcawley3
04-14-2008, 08:18 PM
good one phil....thats my ole stand by when nothing else works.......

if anybody in your area does dry ice blasting...... leaves no secondary waste...100% safe on electrical.... no chemicals......

Jimmy87T
08-08-2008, 12:04 PM
How about this one from the Impala SS forum?

Engine Cleaning/Detailing
by Gary Grant - HOTSS

1) On a hot/warm engine, spray the entire engine compartment down with Windex. Close the cowl(hood) and wait @ 3-5 minutes.

2) Lift the cowl(hood) and mist the engine compartment with water. Now spray the entire area with Armor All. Close the cowl and again wait 3-5 minutes.

3) Repeat the Windex and Armor All application again. Now, after the second coat of Armor All, close up the engine compartment and wash and detail
the exterior of your car.

4)When you are finished, open the cowl(hood) and wipe down any excess Armor All.

jcawley3
10-08-2008, 02:47 PM
How about this one from the Impala SS forum?

Engine Cleaning/Detailing
by Gary Grant - HOTSS

1) On a hot/warm engine, spray the entire engine compartment down with Windex. Close the cowl(hood) and wait @ 3-5 minutes.

2) Lift the cowl(hood) and mist the engine compartment with water. Now spray the entire area with Armor All. Close the cowl and again wait 3-5 minutes.

3) Repeat the Windex and Armor All application again. Now, after the second coat of Armor All, close up the engine compartment and wash and detail
the exterior of your car.

4)When you are finished, open the cowl(hood) and wipe down any excess Armor All.

sounds scary.....give it a try and post pics