PDA

View Full Version : Spacers

chrisgarrett
08-19-2004, 08:58 PM
I'm going to be ordering BFG 275 50 15 drags for my stock rims. It seems that I may need a 1/4" spacer and longer lugs. Which ones should I buy and where should I look? I'm assuming that some spacers are a higher quality than others. My car is strictly street. Thanks, Chris

Keller
08-21-2004, 01:52 AM
GM actually makes longer 12mm lugs. Part number 22551491. But note that they won't work with stock GN or T lug nuts, as these are designed to pass through the nut. Right thread, just too long! Don't cut the lugs, either. Just get open nuts that are designed to mate with your wheels! i.e. Open nuts for steel wheels are not designed for aluminum wheels.

Stock rims are 7", and that's a lot of meat to hang on a stock rim. I really think they'll mount easier and ride happier on a wider rim. GN rims can be widened, y'know...

chrisgarrett
08-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Keller, thanks for responding. Are you saying that when I purchase open nuts there will be two kinds, one for aluminum and one for steel? If I buy GNX wheels from a place like Classic Industries, what size do I get to fit the 275 50 15? Sorry to be so dense, but I know nothing about this stuff. Chris

edmackenzie
08-22-2004, 10:12 AM
I put a set of GTA rims on my car, painted them black...

they are marked and say REAR ONLY on the inside of the rim, with a different offset, so I got a 1/4 inch spacer from Mr Gasket and longer studs, i have 245/50/16's all the way around and the rear doesn't rub at all

Keller
08-23-2004, 02:10 AM
The TRs need to use GTA **FRONT** wheels at all four corners. This is what Classic Industries sells to their early (i.e. 67-80something) Firebird enthusiasts as a set of four. Don't use GTA rears if possible, becaause the offset isn't correct.

The GTA fronts should fit fine with no spacers. However, a 275/50-15 tire won't fit because the GTA wheels are 16x8. You can get Nitto 555R (their 'drag radial') 245/50-16 and BFG Drag Radial 255/50-16 that are both roughly 26" in height.

As far as nuts for use with the long studs, Classic Industries G6572 is a 12mm nut (GM part - not sure of the part number) that is open on the end and will work great. Its meant to work with a plastic cover, but you'd have to modify those covers to work with the long lugs. And I wouldn't use the covers at the track, anyway. The nuts likely will not work properly with GN steel wheels, however.

As far as all the different kind of nuts...yes, they are different. The mounting face angle used for steel wheels is different than aluminum. Some wheels use 'shank' lugs that go all the way through the wheel. And there are different lenths of those!!! Its confusing... :banghead: But if you don't do it right, you could do some damage to your wheels, your car, or your...well...yourself. See http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/reference.asp for a pretty thorough listing of types. Don't think that any of these are for steel wheels, however.

Sycosis
08-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Don't use spacers. They are dangerous. Use wheel adapters if your going that route. The best place is at http://www.skulte.com/adapters.html. High quality adapters.