PDA

View Full Version : Every Turbo Regal Owner Should Read!!!

Matt_1986
04-04-2008, 04:23 AM
OK. I want to start this thread to here YOUR opinions. I got into an argument about the term "BEATING ON" your car tonight. Im sure all turbo regal owners on this site have "gotten on" there cars a time or two. (or plenty more) I have heard people say, " well its a nice car and all, but he beats on it". And that saying really earks me.

My car is a 86 GN with 56,000 miles on it that gets approx. 1,500 miles or less on it a year. Always garaged, never in snow or rain or salt, or (a LITTLE TOO MUCH WIND OR DUST) To say the least it is taken care of like a baby. However, I am not afraid to take it to the dragstrip and put up an 11.80 @ 116mph now and then. So, is that considered a " beaten on piece of crap". I dont think so. My opinion is that let the car speak for itself. I think that provided that the engine can handle the power (the bottom end mostly)(and no detonation) and cosmetically and mechanically the car is right, and the interior is nice, the underbody is in good shape, numbers matching motor, etc..., it is still worth the bucks to the right buyer. We car guys all know that in the END an all original, low mileage car that has not been tampered with and is ALL STOCK will be worth more than a lightly modified car. But, what is the FUN in owning a Barret Jackson mobile!!! These cars are too easily modified in my opinion, to leave them stock and drive them in parades. Hell, if we did nothing but drove them is parades, most people would just say, " DUDE, DID YOU SEE THAT MONTE CARLO IN THE PARADE, THAT THING SOUNDED WEIRD MAN" Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt take a GNX and tub it and make it a reacecar, but I get sick of guys talking behind my back saying " well he BEATS ON IT" ( races it ). Isnt that the point of owning a MUSCLE car in general? If I was a RICH collector, I would have 2 GN's or TTYPES. One for the track and one for the street. But Im not rich so..... And still I think I would want my street car to be faster than 14's. (BONE STOCK)( low 13's with chip, cold air kit, lighter rims, little more boost)(still pretty much stock, car) I dont want a damn rice rocket kicking my ass on the street you know. They have big enough egos as it is. And them things are getting quicker and more readily available parts, and easy mods to make em faster and all.

Keep in mind, that I said " provided the car can handle it". I am not gonna take a stock bottem end car and crank the boost up to 30 freaken lbs to try to run 10's in the quarter, and then turn around and try to sell the thing saying, ITS NEVER BEEN BEAT ON". That in my opinion would be beating on. But if the car is done right and not completely stock anyways, let the car speak for itself, AFTER its been so called "beat on". (A car does not lose its value just because someone pushed the gas pedal down until it touched the freaking floor) I could get into WAY more detail on this topic, but you guys wont want to read that far. So where does this all take us?

What do you guys consider 'BEATING ON" ? AND, how will "a beaten on" (raced) car affect your next buick GN or TTYPE purcahse?

ryan87gn
04-04-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm in complete agreement with your comments. I think it comes from the guys that are jealous at what you have. I bought the car for a reason, to drive and enjoy. It'll still be worth quite a few bucks when and if I ever get tired of it. I didn't buy it for investment purposes. IMHO

Ts86ttype
04-04-2008, 12:53 PM
A car that is has been BEATIN ON has be run hard and not taken care of! In other words driven hard with no care of what happens to it. No service work or care of mechanical aspects for safty. They run it until it breaks and haywire it back together and run it some more. Most cars that have been beat on are filthy inside and out and the owner really just wants to show off with it. I think most all TR owners like their cars to perform and take care of all the safty issues. I can run my car hard but not past its limits!!! Their a great car and just plane fun to drive, but with enough power to make your butt pucker to the seat... I drive my TR,race my TR and injoy my TR!!!

Rosewood Turbo
04-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Well said, thats why I buy a less than mint car so I can enjoy it, whats the use of owning one your too scared to drive. A beat on is the guy down the street in his home done lowered hacked up spray painted trim wantabe turbo civic with a 12 inch fart pipe, he drives it like he stole it, everywhere! Thats a beat on car. Your an enthusiast who occationaly takes his car to the track.

1LowLeSabre
04-04-2008, 07:56 PM
It's yours. If you want to "beat it", go ahead.