PDA

View Full Version : 8.5 Lube capacity ???

LakerSS
04-13-2008, 09:00 PM
What is the oil capacity in a 8.5 diff. I have been filling it till it runs out the fill hole, is that to full? Can't seem to keep my pinion seal from leaking.

Thanks

PaCemkr86
04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
i usually just fill with till it runs out.. How many times have you changed the pinion seal?? Did you look at the yoke to make sure it didnt have a grove ??

My new diff cover holds 4.5 qts and has fill hole and dipstick..

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z250/pacemkr86/IMG_2589.jpg

LakerSS
04-14-2008, 11:12 AM
I have put one seal in myself still leaks and no grove. Am I doing something wrong.

Thanks again
Tim

PaCemkr86
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
are you getting the correct seal ? a GM one?
check and make sure your axle vent isnt clogged also.. its located on the axle tube

Survivor87
04-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Inspect your yoke carefully. Mine was leaking as well. Turned out there was a hairline crack in the yoke. Glad I found out about it that way vs. the alternative. They are still available from Buick, around $100.

monzaz
04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Lets here the install technique??? What are you using to install the seal? You could be tweeking the seal. Do you grease the rubber lips of the seal and the yoke shaft when they mate...<<<< wow that sounded very intrusive :idea:

Dry seal will leak real fast after burning up.

do not for get to put sealent on the outer edge of the seal (metal to metal mating area with the housing) there could be a scratch or gudge in the housing and it is leaking past that point too...??? Just extra thoughts to help figure out what is going wrong here. Jim