PDA

View Full Version : Transmission does not shift at optimum RPMs

Turbo Trans Am
08-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Hello everyone!
My car, a TTA, shifts before it hits the yellow at WOT. Usually it will go to redline before it shifts to second, and then it shifts at lower points with each subsequent gear. Is this standard operating procedures for a stock car? My car does have a thrasher street chip installed that I bought off ebay from gtpgrandprix I believe, if any of you are familiar with the chips he sells. I do not now the full ramifications of what serices the chip provides, but I am under the impression that the car is supposed to shift at redline in every gear. Before I installed the chip, the car would sometimes make it to yellowline shifting into second gear, and then lower in each subsequent gear. Is this right, or am I having problems? The car sat for about eight years before I bought it (has only 55k on it,) and the transmission fluid has not been flushed since I bought it a few months ago. Would fluching the fluid make a difference in shifting?? What differences would it make? The car also hangs up at around 3000 RPMS at 120 miles per hour and refuses to go much faster or raise RPMS. It does increase, but VERY slowly. Is this also normal. I know the top speed advertised for the TTA is 154, but there is no way in hell I can ever get near that. Is the car limited in top speed, or is it supposed to be slow as hell getting there? Is the thrasher chip supposed to change any of this? I haven't noticed a difference with the new chip installed. Thanks for all your help guys!!

Keller
08-25-2004, 02:45 AM
Yellow...red...doesn't the TTA have a real tach in it? What do you consider redline?

Did the car shift properly before changing the chip? All that I recall the chip being able to change was converter lockup speeds.

You shouldn't 'flush' transmission fluid externally like the corner garages have been doing. i.e. Hooking up hoses and circulating it. Drop the pan, change the filter, and do it properly. You might learn a lot about the transmission that way, including any bad news. Perhaps your governor has tossed a spring and its sitting in the bottom of the pan? That would make it shift in the stratosphere! Maybe the filter isn't seated anymore? Maybe in your pan is full of what's left of your transmission. No better way to find out.

You cover a lot of ground quickly at a buck-twenty. There is no speed limiter on a TTA, but if its mistuned or something is not right, acceleration won't come as quickly. And its not likely to accelerate as quickly at those speeds anyway. My guess is that you've run out of room to play and simply can't see how much faster you can go...and probably shouldn't. Think about it: 60 MPH is a mile a minute, 120 is a mile every 30 seconds... If you're not on a racing course or salt flat, don't try to see if you can triple the speed limit. Someone makes one wrong move, and it could ruin your whole day. :eek: