PDA

View Full Version : Getting dipstick tube in when installing transmission

Keller
04-30-2008, 11:28 AM
This is the third time I've done a transmission install in my TR in the last year. This is the part that always frustrates me the most: getting the dipstick tube in. I've got the install down pretty well, and can get the transmission up and 5 bolts in the bellhousing pretty quick. The last bolt, and the dipstick tube take as long or longer than everything else combined. I'm at that point now, and have removed more ancillary stuff to get a better swing at it than I ever had before. Still...no luck getting things lined up.

I imagine having it go in during the actual install (while it is being raised) might work better...not sure. That looks like a problem, too. Always afraid of the tube cutting wires on the way up. I've also had it end up on the wrong side of the engine harness and had to start again. I've already lost one evening at this, and am beginning to scratch my tube up pretty good.

Any suggestions before I just torch the car in a manic bit of rage? :flame: There has to be a better way...

Royal-T
04-30-2008, 06:30 PM
I "threaded" it through the top... took a couple of times but i think its the ONLY way to do it. I even had my Ignition and Coil pack/pedestal still bolted up and an LC1 module there in the way... just step back, maybe do something else and when you come back to it it'll probably slide right in....

PaCemkr86
04-30-2008, 07:45 PM
i ordered a lokar steel braided one from Summit.. its a snap to install
http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/images/2007-newproducts/racingdipstick-on-trans1.jpg

IL KIM
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Scott, I have shared your pain. Been there and done it. Including being on the wrong side of the harness. :flame: I think it would be easier with 2 people; one on the bottom to guide. Didn't remove anything around it but a vacuum hose though. Even put a crack behind the standoff bracket and had to get her welded up. Good luck.

Keller
04-30-2008, 11:35 PM
i ordered a lokar steel braided one from Summit
Interesting... Use one for a TH350? Case mount or firewall mount?

It is a locking stick...

Keller
04-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Including being on the wrong side of the harness.
It supposed to be in front of the harness, right?

PaCemkr86
04-30-2008, 11:46 PM
yes locking stick.. mine is firewall mount , but the trans mount looks nice also..
I order one for a TH400.. the dipstick measured perfect

Keller
05-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Looks like the firewall mount one is a TH350/TH400 fit.

There is also a universal app from Gotta Show: http://www.gottashow.com/trans_dipsticks.php

Will check into this tomorrow.

PaCemkr86
05-01-2008, 09:10 AM
the guys at Lokar also make custom stuff.. pretty much any lenght /style you want..

Keller
05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
http://www.lokar.com/pdf/lokar-catalog18.pdf

So there are different styles: locking and non-locking. What kind do you have, Phil? Only the locking are 350/400 combo.

Some good news; some bad news.

The good news: Lokar makes TH200-4R dipsticks. Both firewall (TD-3200RFM) and trans (TD-3200RTM) mountings.

The bad news: The firewall mounted one is 24" long; a fair bit shorter than the stock one...I think. I'm going to call and see if that is stick length or case length. Since this is a flexible device, it may not matter quite as much. The case mounted one would not be accessible without a floor access hole, IMHO. Neither of these are "locking" style.

Going to call and see what I can find out. Doubt anything can be brewed up as fast as I would like.

Keller
05-01-2008, 12:37 PM
More news...

Was quoted by Lokar that the 24" measurement is the sleeve length from the trans case.

Also, picked up a TD-3200RTM locally. It is actually 25" where the transmission case hits it to the firewall bracket. Things are looking pretty good. Well, other than I'm not going to drill into my car, and currently have nowhere to mount it...

Also, measurements show that this should not need the use of the rubber seal that goes into the trans case. It is large enough, and has its own O-rings. Just needs to be lubed before insertion.

I think with some creativity, this can work. Again this is NOT a locking stick. But it should be a lot easier to work with (other than the mounting up top issue) than the stocker. I'll try to fit it up later and see how well it works.

PaCemkr86
05-01-2008, 12:44 PM
please post some pics , when done

Keller
05-01-2008, 07:00 PM
So...I test fit the stick. Takes all of 30 seconds to get in. I think I wet myself I was so excited. :luv: You need to RTV the bottom a bit before permanent installation for full sealing.

Since it routes straighter, 25" is plenty. It can be screwed to the firewall, HVAC heat shield, or whatever you want. My dad is going to fab up a bracket that will fit over the HVAC shield so I don't actually drill into anything. And it will feature a removable cover plate that will make it NHRA compliant for being "locking". You'll need an allen wrench to get it open.

In short, this is ideal. They should have come this way to begin with. Every trans R&R should include this. Pics will be shown soon...

Royal-T
05-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Pics will be shown soon...
....cant wait.... Whats your dad fabbing the bracket out of? Aluminum, Stainless.... maybe he can make two......:what:

PaCemkr86
05-01-2008, 08:47 PM
here is a pic of mine..

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z250/pacemkr86/IMG_1843.jpg

PaCemkr86
05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
ps.. the dipstick has o-rings also, so chances of it popping out are really slim..

I fought the stocker for awhile, it was only when i was going back from the TH400 to my 2004R is when i found out the Lokar unit would work perfectly, I cant imagine messing with the stock style dipstick tube ever again.

I cant wait to see your installed photos..

PS.. Aaron i never saw the pics you said you were gonna post on the other forum

Royal-T
05-01-2008, 10:24 PM
PS.. Aaron i never saw the pics you said you were gonna post on the other forum
:doh: :doh: :doh: - i'll post'em tomorrow...

Keller
05-01-2008, 10:52 PM
here is a pic of mine..[/IMG]
Some of us still have that pesky heater and A/C...

PaCemkr86
05-01-2008, 11:12 PM
the daily driver GN still has all that stuff.. My ttype is fair weather car and is manily only driven at night to the street races :flame:

ed39
05-04-2008, 09:44 PM
heyyyy pacemaker wares the A.C??????? i gets pretty hot in the summer dont it??lol, keller, wat i have done to get the trans dip stick in is some one at the top toline the hole up then i take about 4 extension with a swivle socket on the end, put tape on the bolt head to make it fit snug in the socket then just sneak it all the way up and hand thread it, can be tricky tho, also helps if the down pipe is out and the tranny is just restin on the cross member with no bushing installed yet

PaCemkr86
05-04-2008, 09:46 PM
the one with the a/c is the black one
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z250/pacemkr86/gnttype1.jpg

it only runs 11.40's though

ed39
05-04-2008, 10:31 PM
awww bummer only 11.40s hahaha im only high 12s, and ill soon have another gn just not sure wat to do with my rusting out one......

IL KIM
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Good job Scott. Sorry I didn't answer your question; been offline..

PaCemkr86
05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
when do we get to see the installed photos of the lokar dipstick?

Keller
05-06-2008, 12:04 AM
I have pics. I'll put them somewhere soon.

So far it seems a little tough to read. Maybe I just haven't fed it enough fluid yet. Went through a case so far. Its up on jack stands and have gone through the gears once or twice, but at VERY low speeds. I did have the lower line loose, so I lost a bit there. Figure with the large cooler and the sheet aluminum deep pan (Who makes this?) it should take ~14 quarts at minimum. And I probably dumped a half quart on the garage floor.

Also didn't find the trans brake at 1st gear position. Either have to readjust the shifter or I'm missing something. :dunno:

And...my hot wire isn't hot. :( Might be the relay. Will have to check tomorrow.

Royal-T
05-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Yeah those deep pans hold a whole lot... on a fresh build you are probably lookin at 14-16 qts.....