PDA

View Full Version : downpipe issues

jsd55
05-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I was looking for a new wastegate solenoid-gn1 performance sold me a new 3" downpipe with a manual controller and what looks to be a wastegate welded on the pipe with vacuum lines (one on the wastegate and one on the controller)
My question is this-do I still use my threaded adjustable wastegate and does the wastegate solenoid still get used, or are they bypassed with this manual controller?
This car has headers and 2.5 inch exhaust, stage 4 turbo, 33lb injectors, ram air from Applied Technologies, so the 3 inch should be a decent performance gain and hopefully eliminate the need for the wastegate soleniod that is getting hard to find.
Any guidance with this would be appreciated.

Keller
05-03-2008, 09:45 AM
http://www.gn1performance.com/products/down_pipe.php

Two different pipes are shown. One with an external wastegate, and one with no wastegate. I assume you have the first type. It is bolted, not welded, on the downpipe. The wastegate has some level of adjustment built into it.

With this type, your actuator (gold irridited part mounted to your turbo with the threaded rod on it) is on longer needed, and can be replaced with just bolts. In addition, you can run a nose from the compressor side of the turbo to the wastegate and not connect to the wastegate solenoid. Adjustments can be done on the new wastegate itself. I trust that you have an aftermarket boost gauge?

However, you must retain the wastegate solenoid. Why? The vast majority of chips expect it to be there and will cause a error code 31 if it is unplugged. Unless you can get a chip made with this disabled, or have an aftermarket ECM (i.e. DFI, BigStuff3, etc.) they it will have to be present. That, or a resistor put in its place to fool the ECM into thinking its there. I forget the required value. (10Kohm?)

Hope that helps.

jsd55
05-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you for the advice.
I guess the obvious next question is why do I need an after market boost gauge? Using the manual controller eliminates the stock boost gauge? Is there no way to tee it back in with some vacuum line arrangement?

Thanks,
Jon

Keller
05-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Using the manual controller eliminates the stock boost gauge? Is there no way to tee it back in with some vacuum line arrangement?
Yes. However, the stock one only reads to 15 PSI. What if your new setup is set to 17? Or 20? More? How will you know? Or if atmospheric conditions cause it to go higher?

Its best to have a gauge that will let you see when things get too high. Or let you turn it higher, if you have the capacity. (i.e. alcohol injection, race fuel, etc.)

jsd55
05-04-2008, 09:04 AM
thanks on the boost gauge heads up how does that song go?(one thing leads to another?) ive never been very good with installing dash guages so whats the cheapest and easiest way to go for boost info ie where to buy and hook up? also my 3in downpipe came with a 30 boost controller they said attach to the ac bracket under the hood ,wouldnt be smarter to run alonger vac line to bring it in the car for quicker adustments

PaCemkr86
06-06-2008, 09:20 AM
you can add a pillar pod mounted boost gauge.. No need to pull the dash to install this one..

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/dc/coollinks3/index/street/smdex/denis/dk_gauges.jpg