PDA

View Full Version : Pics of air bag installed?

lnkncontiverto
06-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Does anyone happen to have a pic or two with an airbag installed. The instructions were a little vauge, and instead of scratching my head and guessing, I was hoping someone would have a quick photo to help me out and expedite the process.

Thanks

Keller
06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Don't know if this will help, but here is a shot right before I dropped my rear end out to update to a 30 spline Eaton, Moser axles, C-clip eliminators, HRPartsNStuff bars, and their bag spacers.

http://www.gnttype.org/scott/111_1106.JPG

Sheriff_Austin
06-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Scott,

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I noticed you opted NOT to install any heat shields on the pipes to shield the air bags, and the clearance looks pretty tight. The kit that comes from Airlift supplies these. Have you had any issues? Would you say they are unnecessary?

Keller
06-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Reminds me...I want to paint that rear sometime...

No problems whatsoever. Those bags were installed in 1991 or 1992, I think. Never an issue. I think I had the shields on the OEM system, but the ATR system seemed to afford plenty of room, and the high quality stainless holds the heat very well. Not, it isn't cool to the touch with the car running or aything. But it contains heat better than mild steel or a lower grade stainless.

Sheriff_Austin
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Ya, it's NEVER done, right?

My hooker exhaust is aluminized steel, not stainless steel. I'm guessing the properties of SS are probably better at retaining heat than aluminum?

Keller
06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Hooker does not use aluminum, but aluminized steel to control rust. Its a coating on the pipes. FWIW, aluminum is a great heat dispersant, not retardant. Think about it: What is used for heat sinks in electronics? :idea: The coating is thin, so I don't know if it would really affect temperature control that much. At the same time, Jet-Hot and other companies make thermal barrier coatings for headers, pistons, etc. But if the entire exhaust really wasmade completely of aluminum, or copper, it would certainly radiate heat considerably more than steel or stainless steel.

Hmm, guess that is why it seems to take so long to boil water in a stainless pot. Never even thought about it... :idea:

Sheriff_Austin
06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I was editing that post as you were typing yours, realizing my mistake. I went and looked up the heat properites of aluminum and was like "There is NO way that exhaust is aluminum, it would probable melt my tires!" Went to Hookers site and saw it was aluminized, not aluminum.

I have to stop posting first thing in the morning :slap:

Thanks. Not that I wouldn't do the extra work, but the heat shields that came with it looked like they might loosen and rattle over time, and i dont want to deal with that.

gusszgs
06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Steve, I just installed a DS air bag.I run the same Hooker exhaust and did install the head shields. They were quite simple to install, I had them so I figured why not install them (less heat near the bag the better). No noises or rattles what so ever.

Sheriff_Austin
06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Can you post pics of the installed shields?

gusszgs
06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
OMG....just switched to DR's today and could have snaped a pic :doh:........of course I read your reply AFTER the car is back down.....sorry man.