PDA

View Full Version : powermaster to vaccumn brake

Ts86ttype
06-29-2008, 11:56 AM
My old powermaster went away this weekend. Thanks to Scott, Phil and all the others that but the great info on this site the change over was a breeze! For under 200 bucks including the brake pedal I got off Ebay. Test drove and the new vaccumn system works like a champ and what a clean install. My only question is the vaccumn check valve on the booster? I used the one that came with it and it seems to work just fine... But I've read that others have changed it out with the newer GM style, and Scott also but a link to a parts place with a check valve that looks like the one I have on the remain unit. Any opinions on this? I really don't want any problems when I get on it and boost and then let off... Thanks for all the GREAT info... Tom G.

PaCemkr86
06-29-2008, 12:58 PM
i ve been using the one that came with my booster.. no problems

Ts86ttype
06-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the reply Phil. I'm going to run the car with the check valve that came with it and see how it goes... I took a bunch of pics of the install and will put them on my website when I get them all in order. Thanks again for the info... Tom G.

PaCemkr86
06-29-2008, 01:19 PM
sounds great Tom.. the write ups you do are always great, and i look forward to seeing it..

Ts86ttype
06-29-2008, 07:40 PM
OK, The pictures and discriptions are posted at www.tomsttype.com. Hope you guys like them. Again a thanks to all the info that is avaliable on this site!!! It sure made the brake change over smooth and well worth while job... Tom G.

PaCemkr86
06-29-2008, 09:20 PM
wow.. amazing write up there TOM !!! very impressed

Ts86ttype
06-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks Phil... Test drove the car again and I just don't know why I didn't change over sooner... The powermaster, when it was working no problems, but the vaccumn system is just as good if not better and the replacement parts are easy to get and not that expensive... Thanks again... Tom G.

turbofish38
07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I never saw an advantage with either check valve. IIRC the TTA used the bigger 1/2" nipple check valve compared with the common 3/8 nipple. I'm using the one that matches the nipple on my vacuum block in other words. The booster end of the check valve is the same size for both valves.

Ts86ttype
07-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the info. I used the 3/8 line also and everything is working great. Tom G.

PaCemkr86
07-03-2008, 07:21 PM
im also using 3/8 hose... and make sure all connections have zip ties on them

WH1Regal
07-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow! Great write-up...especially since I'll be doing this same switch soon!

I do have one question. What about the dash brake light? Does it still indicate when the brake system is malfunctioning? Does the vacuum system share any wiring?

Ts86ttype
07-04-2008, 12:06 AM
With the powermaster brake system unpluged the dash brake lite goes to operating when the E-brake is on and off . Tom G.

PaCemkr86
07-04-2008, 12:12 AM
my brake light also comes on when im doing a burnout and using my line lock... :dunno:

but goes out after the burnout.. so i have never looked into this

Ts86ttype
07-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Phil, The only thing I see in the electrial diagram is the tan/white wire from the brake preasure switch that might activate when you use your line lock. The diagram says the brake pressure switch closed when unequal brake preasure and that would add the ground circut and turn on the dash brake lite. Tom G.

Keller
07-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Yep, that is triggered when your front/rear bias valve senses things are out of whack, too. That is not showing as a result of a Powermaster issue.