PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question

BoostedEvIL
07-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey all.
I have to tow my GN from storage 250 miles and I can't do it with all four wheels off the ground. The truck I have acess to has a bumper hitch and uhaul will only let me rent a tow dolly. I've never towed a car before, so what kinda stuff needs to be done to the Buick besides putting it on the dolly?

Keller
07-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I would highly suggest you tow with the rear wheels UP. Otherwise, you have to tow in neutral, and parts of your transmission, rear end, and driveshaft will be spinning the whole time. The worst part of that is that the transmission will not have the front pump running or circulating the fluid.

With the rear wheels up, none of that will be a concern. However, you must insure that the steering is locked straight. Try to sort that out before taking off. You may even want to secure it further with a rope tied to the steering wheel, and wedged in the drivers door/window just to avoid any possible issues.

BoostedEvIL
07-01-2008, 08:21 PM
I would highly suggest you tow with the rear wheels UP. Otherwise, you have to tow in neutral, and parts of your transmission, rear end, and driveshaft will be spinning the whole time. The worst part of that is that the transmission will not have the front pump running or circulating the fluid.

With the rear wheels up, none of that will be a concern. However, you must insure that the steering is locked straight. Try to sort that out before taking off. You may even want to secure it further with a rope tied to the steering wheel, and wedged in the drivers door/window just to avoid any possible issues.
Thanks a ton Keller.
Its bad enough i'm towing and not driving it this weekend. It would really suck to break it more.

PaCemkr86
07-01-2008, 08:30 PM
just be sure and remove the driveshaft..

BoostedEvIL
07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
just be sure and remove the driveshaft..

Even if I tow like Keller suggest?

PaCemkr86
07-01-2008, 11:28 PM
id remove it. just to make sure it doesnt cause any problems in the trans..

Keller
07-02-2008, 01:00 AM
If rear wheels are up, why bother? You'd lose the trans fluid that way, too.

BoostedEvIL
07-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Ok, I'm going to leave the drive shaft connected and tow with the rears UP.
My column lock still works great but I'm going to zip tie and rope the steering wheel to something. The seat bracket?

PaCemkr86
07-02-2008, 09:19 AM
i was saying only remove the driveshaft if the rear wheels where gonna be on the ground.

413turbo
07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
u-haul has a flat bed hauler, i think they call it "auto-transporter" or something. WHY, will they not let you get it? it's like $20 more. ohhh, i needed to red better.. bumper hitch... that sucks.

Keller
07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
U-Haul is pretty picky about the weight of the vehicle vs. weight of the tow vehicle & kinds of hitches, etc. They also will not rent to anyone using a Ford Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer to tow. Any sort of trailer, no matter how small. Period.

I guess you could tie the wheel to the seat mounting. Just don't mess up the wheel. Be careful.

BoostedEvIL
07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm using a newer F-150 or a Tundra and a bumper hitch to tow the trailer. Uhaul approved everything except for towing backwards. I've got some thin rubber stuff I can wrap around the steering wheel to keep it from getting jaked up.

U-Haul is pretty picky about the weight of the vehicle vs. weight of the tow vehicle & kinds of hitches, etc. They also will not rent to anyone using a Ford Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer to tow. Any sort of trailer, no matter how small. Period.

I guess you could tie the wheel to the seat mounting. Just don't mess up the wheel. Be careful.

BoostedEvIL
07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Well that was not fun. It was pretty windy and the GN was moving side to side a lot. The wheels was locked and straight, but it kept shaking above 45 mph. It was a long nerve wrecking drive.

PaCemkr86
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
glad you made it ok..

t-typex1
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
everything worked out then :tup: