PDA

View Full Version : What turbo?

turbogn86
08-20-2004, 10:46 PM
ok so far im rebuilding my motor back to stock with 36# injectors, im looking for the best turbo with the most bang for the buck, i was considering the TA-49, TE-44 an the PT-51. any feed back is appreciated, thanks.

Keller
08-21-2004, 01:17 AM
The TA49 and TE44 have *EXACTLY* the same compressor and turbine wheels. Only the compressor housing is different; being non-stock appearing on the '44 and worth a few more CFM.

The PT51 has a different (larger and more modern) turbine. The compressor is the same as the '44/'49. A TA51 is available that comes with a stock appearing compressor hosusing.

See http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers-display.php?company_id=101795&category_id=3022 for the raw specs, as well as some links at http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/turboguide.html for some relevant pics.

The TA (stock) style compressor housings have a little more low end, but lose top end power. In this size turbo, its not much.

It comes down to what your goals are, and what do you want to spend? Street or race? Pump gas or high octane so you can crank the boost up? (Larger turbos have a higher sweet spot) Do you want to invest in a higher stall torque converter and transmission mods? The larger the turbo, the more stall you will need. You may get by OK with a stock converter and a '49, but very much larger and you'll want higher stall. Naturally you have a better fuel pump and a 'hot wire' kit to power it, right?

Any buildup is all about combo.

turbogn86
08-21-2004, 03:39 PM
im not looking for an all out drag car just somthin for around town and from a roll lauching. i wanna go with a stock converter an pump gas. i what about the GT3255E TURBO REPLACE TA49/TE44 ? heard it was pretty good. this is going to go on a motor with possible the postons highperformance rebuild kit.

Keller
08-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Good question. Don't know much about it. Lot of chat about it in the import circles. But not much feedback. Its pretty new. Precision's site pegs it at ~520 HP target; ~25 HP lower than the TA49. Might be a compromise. Anyone know more?

I see nothing wrong with a TA49/TE44, possibly with the Precision exhaust housing added.

turbogn86
08-21-2004, 07:02 PM
thanks for the info, i will check back when i make a decision.

Keller
08-22-2004, 02:24 AM
i wanna go with a stock converter an pump gas. i what about the GT3255E TURBO REPLACE TA49/TE44 ?

Looking at http://www.turbobygarrett.com/ the GT series appear to be available with ball bearing center sections. That would be very nice with a stock torque converter, as it would spool quickly. Might be worth some examination for a primarily street driven car.

DMOSTWANTED1
08-23-2004, 03:10 PM
A TE44 PRECISION WILL TAKE YOU INTO THE MID 11'S WITHT HE RIGHT COMBO. IM SELLING MINE FOR $500 LESS ACTUATOR WITH ONLY ONE SEASON AND LESS THAN 10 RUNS ON IT. aLSO HAVE 009'S IF INTERESTED. WENT BIGGER EVERYTHING THIS SEASON.

NJDLAW7@AOL.COM

raxen
08-23-2004, 05:53 PM
I've got a T76 or a T100 that will do ya You would have to run a external wastegate for it though.