PDA

View Full Version : found chip

mytsharpgn
07-06-2008, 04:24 PM
OK. Got my car back together from replacing the thermostat. Went with a 160* stat from GBodyparts.com.

As I was cleaning out the interior, I discovered a chip that I had bought from Chad Schwartz (for those that know him) probably 10 years ago. I never installed it for some reason, probably because I forgot I had it. He told me it was a chip for a mostly-stock car like mine. I can't remember much else about it. Might anyone here know? It says Thrasher on the front. There are four lines of print on the back that say this:

9230K2.560
OCT: 92
MJ: STOCK
STUT: NO THEFT:YES

I do remember Chad telling it had an anti-theft program in it. But for the life of me I can't remember how it works. I'm pretty sure there is some procedure I need to go through in order for the vehicle to start.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Kirk.

Keller
07-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I believe that chip would be OK on a fairly stock car. You will need the ability to deal with the anti-theft. If you email me, I can tell you how it works.

FWIW, "MJ" is probably actually "INJ". i.e. Injectors as in "Injectors: Stock". Some Thrashers were cut for Bosch 36 Lb/Hr injectors as well.

mytsharpgn
07-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Scott,

You are correct. It was not MJ. It was INJ. Guess my 40-year-old eyes don't do so well with small print any longer.

Just OK on a stock car? I guess I would want to know what should I be expecting out of this chip. All I know is that with the stock chip, the hooker exhaust and no CAT, the turbo winds up awful fast, and I find myself having to back out of the throttle because I fear detonation.

Should I be looking at another chip instead of this one?

Kirk.

Keller
07-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm sure everyone is going to recommend TurboTweak. FWIW, the Thrasher was developed by a GM/Delphi engineer on his own time. It will improve your gas mileage, and I highly doubt it will knock as easily as the stock chip. If you can't stand the boost intensity, buy a Prius. :lmao:

I doubt a TurboTweak chip would be any better on a stock car. Plus, it does not have the anti theft, which is pretty trick.

mytsharpgn
07-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Man, you're killin' me with the Prius! I would push my car around town every day before considering one of those.

I'm sure I'll learn to deal with the boost intensity, as long as the detonation stays away. But I'm curious about the mileage. When I first got this car, I never had any problem reaching 24mpg on a highway trip. Now I struggle to reach 20mpg. I really thought when I changed my exhaust I would gain all sorts of mpg back, considering the cat is gone and the muffler had been crumbling internally. I still have to do the spring cleaning on the intercooler, but I doubt that will increase my mileage by 10-20%.

What should I be looking for?

Keller
07-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Not really a tuning section, but...

The factory state of tune is very sensitive. In fact, they even decided to use a hex nut instead of a wing nut to hold down the air cleaner internally because of the small disturbance it made to the airflow. I'm guessing the new exhaust has probably caused the car to run leaner, and the car may have responded by tuning itself richer. Plus, weather, humidity, seasonal gas formulation, etc. are all factors.

Anyway, to dig deeper, I'd ask this go in the appropriate area of the Forums.