PDA

View Full Version : Lack of vent control for heating and AC

rpoletis
08-30-2008, 03:01 PM
To all,

Last week I was driving and I noticed my AC was only blowing from underneath the vehicle dash. The actual vents on the dash blow no air. I changed my vent controller from Max AC to bi-level, to vent with no changes. The cooling and heater lever works and you can instantly feel the change in temperature. Today I took apart the dash and quickly realized I have no clue what is wrong. The multiple vacuum hoses appeared to be intact and there were no obvious problems (unconnected or broken hoses). Since I have little understanding and drawings/technical info, I am hoping someone may have some quick items to check out.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
LaPlata MD.

PaCemkr86
08-30-2008, 09:06 PM
check your vacuum hoses under the hood on the passenger side

rpoletis
08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Phil,

That was it!!! I traced the vacuum lines over to the driver side and they were completly rotted (Underneath the EGR sensor).

However, I did notice something unusual, on the passenger side valve cover, there is a sensor that has two vacuum/air ports. One port appears to go to the turbo, the other sensor port is missing a hose. I did not see any hoses dangling around the sensor. Additionally, I did not feel any suction or air blowing from the un-connected sensor port with the vehicle running at idle. Any ideas?

Thanks again for getting my air vents working again!

Rich

PaCemkr86
08-31-2008, 10:25 PM
your welcome.. the sensor you are talking about is your wastegate solonoid, and its only supposed to have one hose going to it..

Keller
09-01-2008, 12:38 AM
FWIW, that fitting had a foam cover originally. However, its pretty impossible to keep them on. Don't worry about its absence.

rpoletis
09-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the help and education. I was wondering what was connected to the unused port, the clip for the missing cover is still on the sensor. I will remove it (the clip) when I wipe down the motor later this fall.

Thanks again for the help,

Rich

IL KIM
09-01-2008, 10:43 AM
I replaced the foam filter with one from Postons a couple years ago. Not sure if they still have them.

turbofish38
09-05-2008, 04:50 PM
The little foam filter is GM Part Number 801528. I use a drop of Testors model cement to keep it on.