PDA

View Full Version : pulling motor

Jims project
09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
what is the best way to do this? is the wiring all plug and play so i can't mix things up..there's a bracket on the passengers side for lifting but none on the drivers side.what do you use and where? I'm doing a frame off so i'll pull the intercooler out and probably the radiator and support if so can the motor and tranny come straight out the front? its been a few years since i pulled one so i'll take all the advice i can get... thanks

PaCemkr86
09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
its all plug and play, and i always pull it with the engine with the trans, turbo and sometimes even with the intercooler still on.

When it comes time to reinstall everything, if you have any problems we can help you here

Jims project
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
thanks can't wait to get started..what about a bracket for the back of the motor? what do you hook to.. have i missed something?

pfredricks
09-05-2008, 09:15 AM
what about a bracket for the back of the motor? what do you hook to.. have i missed something?
There is a loop cast into the block at the back of the motor on the driver side next to the knock sensor.

Jims project
09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I've got most of the wires disconnected and pulled the coil pac off and disconnected the wires there..with the long wire loom exposed from the back of the motor running along the side to the front on the drivers side..I cannot find the so called casting loop on the drivers side..is it down below the valve cover somewhere?

IL KIM
09-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Check behind the valve cover, rear most part of engine block above where trans mates to engine.

Jims project
09-06-2008, 09:39 PM
thanks, will check lower,1'st time puller here, more wires and things than i expected

Jims project
09-09-2008, 06:45 AM
O.K. have been all over the back side of this motor, even pulled the valve cover off and ran my hand all down the backside of the motor and still no loop? so can I put a bracket on the very last intake bolt (like on the front) and use it? still considering about removing radiator support and pulling motor straight out with tranny..what do you think about the bracket? mine is a 86 but it probably doesn't make a difference..thanks again

PaCemkr86
09-09-2008, 09:13 AM
ive never had to remove the radiator support, just the radiator and usually always pull the engine with the trans

IL KIM
09-09-2008, 11:45 AM
It's there. More towards the center towards the knock sensor. Sorry if I confused you with the valve cover.

turbofrank
09-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Go to hardware store take one intake bolt and buy one 3/4 to 1" longer along with some washers . Use this on drivers side rear.
The hook u mentioned up front i bought another one to use on rear.
I perfer to pull engine alone put jack or jackstand under trans for support.

goldbadge
09-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Definitely pull the motor with the trans, and be sure to remove the starter and associated wiring. The starter tends to hit the crossmember on the way out if not removed. As for that loop on the rear, that's news to me. I'd ask for pictures or a diagram as proof.

81 elky
09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
You could use the old seat belt method like at the junkyard. Tie them around the middle ehauxt tube on either bank and away you go. I used a different type of nylon strap, but it's how I got mine out.

goldbadge
09-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Found this during a google image search. The hole for the chain can be seen on the left rear of the engine below the head where it meets the intake valley.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2783/monteturbov6backcp4.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1304/newv6by4.jpg

Jims project
09-23-2008, 06:16 AM
thanks guys for all your input..I've got everything disconnected,found the loop on back side of the motor. so i'll keep in touch and let ya know how it goes.. thanks..

Jims project
10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
motor and tranny is out. thanks guys for all the advice..body is coming off next..(what has this old man gotten into??) besides a great car...