PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel Light

rpoletis
09-17-2008, 09:37 PM
All,

I had my dash apart a few weeks ago tracing vacuum lines and I noticed that the low fuel light bulb was missing. When I put a new light bulb in the light stayed on all the time regardless of fuel level. I did some research in my GM book, and the wiring chart had me going all over the place...bottom line all indications I have appear to be the fuel gauge itself. I looked at the gauge it just plugs into the dash socket, and I see nothing else for "Low Fuel" Sensor. The fuel gauge works so am I missing something, or is the problem in the tank (sensor or something)? The car runs fine and I was wondering if this was an easy fix...otherwise I am ok with pulling out the light bulb out and filling up at 1/4 tank.

Rich

Keller
09-17-2008, 09:57 PM
You do realize these cars did not come with a low fuel light, right?

Many people added that module. It comes from the Riviera line of the era, as they use the same basic dash. That module can just be plugged into the main dash, and it senses when the tank sender shows a low level.

So the question is, was there really a module there with an empty bulb socket and its not working right, or did you just put a bulb across a pair of empty terminals that happen to be V+ and ground? Kinda doubt that could be done, but...

Low fuel warning assembly - part number 6432974

Junk yard is probably your best bet for one of these.

PhillyTurboSix
09-17-2008, 11:24 PM
I had a module I picked up and put in my GN. Then I realised I never let my tank get that low! By the time it lights you just about out! So I would not even bother with it. My car now has the low alky lamp in that slot :)

Here is a pic of the module I took... It's a very simple resistor...

http://turbobuicks.net/gallery2/d/11048-3/LowFuel01.jpg
http://turbobuicks.net/gallery2/d/11051-3/LowFuel02.jpg

turbofish38
09-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Here's a thread from the other place on how to install the low fuel module. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/208378-low-fuel-light-all-time.html Scroll down to my post with the pics. You can get one through Brian at www.gbodyparts.com

Hey Scott if you want I could write something for the resources. :)

PhillyTurboSix
09-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Yea write an article that says never put this useless module in your Buick! :tdown: :lmao:

Keller
09-18-2008, 07:21 PM
A writeup (on this, or any TR topic) is always appreciated. Use of the pics attached in this thread would be great, too!

rpoletis
09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
All,

Thanks for the feedback on the low fuel level light. I honestly did not know the all GNs did not have the low fuel light indicator. I have the GM Buick Chassis manual (in volume II) it referenced the low fuel light and that is what had me looking for a sensor board that was not there. When I looked at the vehicle's bulb socket I noticed it had a slight discoloration from being heated, I assumed (yep assumed) that the light bulb was once in there. When I installed a new bulb, it lit up and would not go out. This affirmed why the socket had been heated, and I thought I had a sensor problem (after reading the GM book) . Thanks to everyone's advice, I figure that one of the previous owners installed the light let it run a while and pulled it out. I did not see a sensor board and that GM chassis book was probably referring to the Riviera...that book always screws me up in the electrical section.
Either way, I basically drive my GN on weekends and never let it go below a 1/4 tank. Therefore, I will pull the light bulb, and not worry about the circuit board. Thanks again to everyone for all the help, and photos.

Rich

buickgn38sfi
09-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Scott, you are my hero man!

KELLER knows his buicks...

novaderrik
09-21-2008, 03:22 AM
none of the turbo Buicks came with the low fuel light? was it common to add one, and if it wasn't an option, then why is there a slot in the dash for it?
mine has one that comes on about 2 miles before the car dies- which is pretty much right when the gauge hits the "E" mark. most GM cars i've ever owned give you at least 50 miles after "E" before you need to worry.

Keller
09-21-2008, 04:07 AM
was it common to add one, and if it wasn't an option, then why is there a slot in the dash for it?
Yes, it was commonly added by many. I have one sitting on the shelf I've never installed.

Why can it be installed? The dash is shared with the Riviera of the era (well, early part of the 80's anyway) and thus it plugs right in. It was standard on the "more luxurious" Riviera.

Note that when it comes on might be affected by whether you have a digital or analog dash as the resistance of the tank sender is different.

kenmosher
09-22-2008, 09:25 AM
The part number is on the web page (I think in the 87 parts list) for the module and it was documented back in the early 90s (I wrote it about it when Eric Fisher and myself tried it).

Might have only been on the mailing list though ...