PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Tensioner???

JHensberry
10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
FWIW, Sorry I have not been on in awhile. Moved, another child, yada, yada, yada. Anway, the belt squeeks like a banshee when I start it up, and the V on the Scanmaster goes to about 11.0, then the squeek will go away and back up to 13.5.
New batt., new +/- with grounds, alt is not too old.
Could it be the alt? The sound is coming from that area.
Could it be the tensioner causing the belt squeek?
Sorry for a silly question. How do you get the tensioner off to replace the belt?
I have not found that in the service manual. It has been several years since the belt has been replaced, but has not been driven that much.
I have had my T-Type WE-4 for 16 years and never replaced the tensioner.

chrisgarrett
10-15-2008, 07:06 AM
I would suspect the belt first. You remove it by putting an 18mm on the tensioner bolt and pulling it towards the driver's side (I think). I like the Goodyear Gatorback belt with the number 4060635.

Keller
10-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Try to localize the sound first. If the noise is coming from the alternator, and the voltage bounces, maybe it is the alternator!

If it is the tensioner, it could be the bearing going in its pulley.

PaCemkr86
10-16-2008, 05:19 PM
sounds like the alternator is on the fritz...

but like stated above, isolate the concern first..

JHensberry
10-18-2008, 10:10 AM
The sound is definetely coming from the alternator area. I guess I could take it to D-Advanced and have them hook the little thingy up to test it.
Maybe the belt or the is old and not gripping like it should??? The tension on the belt feels pretty good.
I'll get the alt checked out first. Thanks.

81 elky
10-28-2008, 04:14 AM
Sounds like a bearing failure in the alternater, like it is seizing.