PDA

View Full Version : 3.8 motor swap

nic m
08-22-2004, 06:43 PM
I own a 1970 Nova. I want to put in a different motor in the next couple months. I love the grand nationals and was wondering how difficult it would be to put one of the 3.8s in my car?
I'm not sure about motor mounts, etc. I would like to run a manual tranny, but I believe the buicks have different bolt patterns than chevys so I couldnt run like say a t56. Are there any options as far as manuals? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nic

Keller
08-23-2004, 01:50 AM
The 3.8 mounts shouldn't be too dissimilar from the mounts used for Buick 350's in the Apollo's, which were cousins of the Novas. But the point is, you *might* have holes there for Buick motor pads to bolt it right in. Or not. But it shouldn't be too hard. I'd reccomend getting something nicer than stock motor mounts, like the HRPartsandstuff mounts, for your project.

The the Chevy mounting pattern trans is different than the BOP trans. You can get manual trans bellhousings from old(er) BOP cars. I picked up a housing and clutch fork off EBay that was supposedly from a V6 in a mid-70's Skyhawk. No idea what I'll do with it, but the point is that the parts to do what you want exist and are out there.

nic m
08-25-2004, 04:20 PM
cool, thanks for the help

are there any books or literature I could read to learn more about these cars/motors?

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible while I explore different swap options. Right now its between a gn motor and a lt1.

turbofish38
08-26-2004, 02:53 PM
1976-1979 Skylark and Pontiac Phoenix came with 231 V-6's so there is another source for motor mounts. Also any car that came with a Buick 350 would work too.You should be able to use the Regal mounting brackets. You may have to drill holes in the crossmemnber though. Check out these guys for some ideas into swapping in a T-56 http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transmissions/chevelle_68-72.asp