PDA

View Full Version : Valve and timing gear job

buickpe87
11-06-2008, 08:22 AM
I have plans to do the valve spring and timing gear job during winter. So, regarding to it I have some questions about the parts needed. My 87GN (about 110 000 miles driven) is basically stock so the cam is stock as well as valves.

Here the questions for the valve spring job:

Are the Comp Cams CCA 980-12 for the springs ok?

Can I find the set including retainers, locks and intake seals? If,who is selling?
For instance FTP donīt seem to sell the full sets.

If to buy separate, what is the part number for the intake valve seals, retainers and locks.

Or is it ok to use old retainers and locks and purchase separately springs and intake seals?

Here the questions for the Timing gear job:

Should I install roller type or stock type set? If stock type,is the standard Rollmaster ok?

Branch and part numbers for stock and roller set?

Seal(s): what brand/part number?

Should I worried about the shimming needs of the roller button debending on the timing cover seal type used or on the other issues?

Thanks in advance!

kenmosher
11-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Spring you list are fine ...

Lots of part number here:

http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/8687pn.html

Rockauto.com lists retainers, umbrella seals, etc. for a good price.

The sealed power cam/crank/chain is fine for what you're doing ... and it's quieter than the roller.

Keller
11-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Are the Comp Cams CCA 980-12 for the springs ok?
I believe we decided some time ago that the 979's should be used with the stock 'cups' and the 980's without the stock 'cups' due to their subtle differences in height.

http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4461
http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8856
http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10158

buickpe87
11-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks Ken and Scott!

Further,
Which is better solution: to use cups and 979s or no cups and 980īs?
How about the seal, is the best solution to use umbrella type ones?

Then(again), could I use the old retainers and locks?

How about the shimming needs when installing the roller button for the cam? I have heard or read somewhere about the shimming...

kenmosher
11-07-2008, 10:30 AM
The old retainers and locks should work fine ... inspect them for unusual or excessive wear, but I'd bet they look fine. The stock cam is pretty tame and fairly low lift.

Personally, I'd probably go with the 980s and no cups, just for slightly easier install/assembly. I think it's pretty much a wash which one you use.

As far a shimming, I have always had someone weld a small square of thin steel where the button "rides" on the cover. Actually, I think we might have used some JB Weld to affix the plate ... been MANY years ago since we did it). THen use the roller button from a 3800 ... never had a problem.

Ken

PaCemkr86
11-07-2008, 07:32 PM
be sure and put seals on all the valves , intake and exhaust

buickpe87
11-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks again!

How thick or thin should that additional plate for the timing cover and button be?

Not any othe "shimming" needs?

And how about the valve seals, umbrella type or something else? Part#?
(I have heard about some ring type also if I remember right....)

kenmosher
11-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I just used a very thin piece and ground a little to make it flush to the original surface. Good news is that it's not really critical, so pretty much eyeball it. If you use the roller bearing cam button it shouldn't really ever be a problem.

Umbrella type valve seals ... stock GM ones work fine (and really tough). Make sure you get the ones for the later heads (not the early ones) ... slightly different size.

http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/8687pn.html

original GM number is:

Rockauto lists both a Sealed Power OEM set (MV1888A pack of 6 for .44 ea) and a Fel Pro set of 6 part no. SS72623.

The Sealed Powers look like the stockers.

GM Parts Direct still has the OEM kit for $38.

PaCemkr86
11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
ive had excellent results with the felpro viton and the OEM ones.. I try to use the OEM seals when i can..

buickpe87
11-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Thanks for all!

I start the purchasing project with the information I got from you.

81 elky
11-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey Phil, your answer about the seals puzzles me. You recommended the viton seals to me when I put 980's on mine. I bought 12 seals, even though there was only seals on the intakes when I pulled it apart. I tried to put them on the exhausts as well, but because the valve stem has a groove machined into it, the groove chewed the seals. What's up with that?

PaCemkr86
11-24-2008, 05:18 PM
thats a first for me, i have installed several sets of the viton seals.. did you use the plastic tube that comes with the valve seal kit? You slide the plastic tube over the valve and then slide the valve seals on.. then remove the tube and use again on the next one..

IL KIM
11-24-2008, 08:29 PM
FWIW; I don't know what type of seals I have, but having them put on the exhaust valves stopped the smoking out the tailpipes at startup on a rebuild in 1990. Had them put on both intakes and exhausts on my 2006 rebuild with no issues...

81 elky
11-24-2008, 09:03 PM
No "kit", just 2 sets of 6 seals in a plastic sealed bag. My parts house didn't show a part number for exhaust seals, so I attempted to install intakes on them.