PDA

View Full Version : Speedo ???????

dirtydodge
11-14-2008, 07:19 PM
ALright, Speedo took a dump today, took everything apart. I have the GNX Dash in mine , dont know if that helps you out here, but,, none of the cables are snapped, it looks to be whatever that coupler is that joins that top and bottom cables together... Can anyone tell me what this is and where would I go about getting one?

dirtydodge
11-14-2008, 07:32 PM
figured out its the VSS, but cant find a new one anywhere... and suggestions guys?

Keller
11-14-2008, 07:56 PM
The check engine light is probably a VSS warning due to no signal from the vehicle speed sensor. That is up by the dash, so that is not spinning either.

The item you mentioned: Where is it and what does it look like? It may be a reducer related to the GNX dash. Can you post a picture? Who made the dash setup you have?

dirtydodge
11-14-2008, 09:16 PM
yeah i guess its a reducer then,,, and i'm having a hell of a time finding the right speedo cable for it,, I took it all apart and was just filled w/ rust. The lower cable broke , its about 51". I can make a new cable that will work with that reducer, but i would have to turn the reducer around, to fit the newer cables, would this make a difference, like the car thinks its going in reverse? i attached some pics... tell me if it worked, thanks again!

Keller
11-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Hmmm...that might actually be a sender for the speedo (electronic) in that dash. Anyway....

Why do you say you'd have to 'turn it around', etc.? A speedo cable is a fairly straightforward mechanical piece. Any speedometer shop ought to be able to help you and make one. In fact, you might even find what you want on eBay. A quick look found...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-85-86-87-GRAND-NATIONAL-REGAL-GNX-SPEEDOMETER-CABLE_W0QQitemZ250318455459QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2503184554 59&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

While not advertising 51" ones, he might be able to get them. And a local source might be able to help you as well.

Speedo cables aren't really that specialized. If you brought what you needed to a speedo shop or called them, I'm sure they'd get you set right up.

On the other hand, if something in the line is stuck and that broke the cable, you might have a problem.

dirtydodge
11-15-2008, 01:41 PM
hall effetc speed sensor

PaCemkr86
11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
lol.. good to know info

dirtydodge
11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Alright guys, after banging my head against the wall finding out what this does I figure I'll share the info. What comes inline wih your GNX DASH speedometer cable is a Arthur Allen Reed Swtich Transducer.
IT IS A 2 PULSE. This is NOT the same as a hall effect speed sensor. These pieces are hard as anything to find and more than likely the guy at your local auto parts parts will not know what he or she is looking at.
If anyone out here has the same problem, which you will at some point if you have the dash, you need to contact a fellow by the name of STEVE at Arthur Aleen Manufacturing @ 1-262-723-1763. The unit is 102.00 plus S/H.

Hope this post helps the next guy scratching his head and wondering what this unit does and where to get a new one.