PDA

View Full Version : recipe

airborne_rex
12-14-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm trying to put a good recipe together for my car, so far this is what I am looking at, a 210/215 roller cam kit, a pt 51 turbo, 3000 stall, and 42.5 lb/hr injectors. What other upgrades would maximize the performance out of these products?

Keller
12-14-2008, 04:58 AM
A few things come to mind:
- Ported heads. Not worth investing in that much cam if it can't pump well through the heads.
- Intercooler. At least something like the PTE stock location. You'll be flowing more air, so all airflow items could use improvement.
- Injectors. The 42.5's may be maxed quickly if you shoot for max boost with this combo using race fuel or alcohol. Might consider 60's.
- Converter. If this car is mostly street, 3000 might be fine. If it will be raced, I'd step the stall up a hair.
- There are other small items like intake porting/matching, throttle body porting, header porting after welding a bead around them, etc., that would all give slight potential for tiny bits of flow, too.
- Don't forget stronger mounts.
- Don't forget beefing up the trans. Too many people build up the car only to shatter the trans soon after.

airborne_rex
12-14-2008, 05:42 AM
I was thinking about the ta ss headers and a 3 inch downpipe with an external wastegate for that area, and I was going to send the transmission off to be built up. Are there any reputable tranny shops around the texas oklahoma area that you know of? As far as the porting of the heads will most machine shops install the valve springs and retainers and everything that comes with the roller kit after they port them? and also the 60 lb injectors are low impedance correct? so what do you have to do in order to modify the ecm for those?

kenmosher
12-14-2008, 10:37 AM
The 60s are high Z and superior to the 42.5s in every way. They are pretty much "plug n play" with the proper chip.

I'd also step up a bit in the turbo department (something in the 60s) ... you'd have the airflow if you do the heads/cam/intercooler.

airborne_rex
12-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Alright, so what is a good 60 series turbo that would match up nice with the 3000 stall, 60lb injectors, and everything else that i mentioned previously. Also what is a good source for a chip.

kenmosher
12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
TurboTweak chip from Eric (www.turbotweak.com) or Commander from Bob (www.fullthrottlespeed.com) work great with the MotoTron/Edge 60 # injectors.

A TA/TE61 or the new Garrett equivalent GT series (ask Full Throttle) or Turbonetics hybrids (Jack Cotton of www.cottonsperformance.com). Depending on your budget, you might ask about the ceramic ball bearing turbos ... a bit pricey compared to "normal" turbos, but allows you to step up into the 66-67 range without a spooling penalty.

If you go with one of the well known vendors out there and talk to them before purchase they can drill down into what you want out of the car (how much street duty vs. strip duty) and your HP/ET goals, drivability concerns, etc. This will drive some good discussion and recommendations.

Keller
12-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Are there any reputable tranny shops around the texas oklahoma area that you know of?
Mike Kurtz's Century Transmissions http://www.centurytransmission.com

Some of these questions aren't really "engine mechanical" questions... :nono: