PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Art1984
01-08-2009, 12:39 PM
1st post new hot air guy. How can I tell if I still have stock injectors I looked in the tech area and there are no pics of the stock injectors I also didn't find the stock part#? In short I'm trying to figure out what has been done and what I still need to do.

My new baby is a 47,000 mile 84 T-Type very nice but has some what I'd guess are normal little problems, like needs all bumper fillers window weather stripping outside, headliner.

The things I know that are done already are Walbro fuel pump, Ultrachip, cat rodded out, cat back system, and thats it.

Things in the works now. Wide mouth cold air kit, heated O2 sensor, fuel pump hot wire, air bags rear end, 4000 degree black ceramic coated headers, up, down, and crossover. Also going to convert to s-10 style remote oil filter and cooler set up imploying an after market cooler. Gauges.

Things on my mind, some sort of a pre maf cooler, my idea stems from mythbusters (If I can call it my idea that is you guys have been playing this game longer than me) anyway the idea is this 3/8 copper tubbing or there abouts and bend a cooling coil or 3 then run the tubes out through drilled holes in the 4" cold air tube in front of the maf, now heres where the mythbusters stuff comes in, if you saw the episode where the where chilling beer, you may remember the ice water and salt solution that they came up
(24 to 26 degrees) with to chill beer quickly, my idea is to take an extra washer/coolant tank with a drain tap installed in the bottom, and use it and a washer pump or small fuel pump to pump this solution through my cooling coils inside the cold air tube thats why the 4" to compenste for the blockage in airflow, I'll spare you all the details. My concern is condensation on the coils messing up the maf, but I'm going to build and try it and do some temp measuring to see if it works. This set up would be a track use only type thing as carrying a cooler full of ice water and salt solution would be a little impractical.

Any thoughts,

Oh I'm in the Air Force and about to retire, my retirement job is Oreilly Auto parts store manager if you need prices/availiblity on anything let me know I may even be able to get you a better price than you can get else where.

Keller
01-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Stock injector Bosch part number can be found on this chart: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/fuelsystem/injflow.html

IMHO, doing the black ceramic coat is overkill. Plus, those headers are somewhat prone to cracking, and I'd hate to see you do the coating and have the headers crack underneath it. I've used VHT "Nu-Cast" spray (SP-998) on my 86-87 headers and it holds up very well. Rated to 1500F.

I'd suggest sticking with an OEM style oil filter. Going from the stock type PF-47 to the longer PF-52, or even the older style, large PF-24 using the adapter will provide more oil volume and insure you have an anti-drainback valve. That is something the Buick motors require for clean starts with no knocks.

I'm not sure the cooler idea would be effective on the incoming air. It is not yet compressed, and doesn't yet have the heat it will have post-turbo. All the work needed to cool it may not be worth the tiny amount of cooling that may result. Various strategies for an intercooler/aftercooler for the 84/85 cars have been tried, but the plumbing has made it difficult.

kenmosher
01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Things in the works now. Wide mouth cold air kit, heated O2 sensor, fuel pump hot wire, air bags rear end, 4000 degree black ceramic coated headers, up, down, and crossover. Also going to convert to s-10 style remote oil filter and cooler set up imploying an after market cooler. Gauges.

Of course, all the "normal" stuff (plugs, wires, oil, etc. ... i.e. stuff in the "Spring Cleaning" article is assumed?

Headers for a hot air are going to be VERY pricey, due to the low demand. If the stockers aren't shot, I'd put that on the back burner. Maybe coat the stockers...

I think I'd put the ECM conversion project pretty high on the list. Convert the ECU, the MAF, and the ignition module to the more readily available 86/87 pieces. Very easy and relatively inexpensive. That way you'll have more parts availability (including chips).

Things on my mind, some sort of a pre maf cooler, my idea stems from mythbusters (snip)

The biggest problem is that there is a LARGE volume of air moving constantly though the tube with very little turbulence. SO you only get a split second to transfer the heat from the air to the cooling medium. I'm too lazy to get out the calculator/physics book, but I'd be guessing that there is minimal heat exchange with that sort of setup with the engine running (let alone at WOT where you'd want it the most). Only the airflow next to the tube wall would have a chance to shed some heat.

Then it goes right into the compressor and gets heated back up with compression (i.e. boost). Granted, if you get a slight reduction of intake temp, the post turbo air won't be quite as hot, but I don't think you'd be looking at a significant gain here.

You'd be money ahead to fangle up an alky injection/water injection system after the turbo. The water's latent heat of vaporization will DEFINITELY help intake temps and restore a bit of efficiency post-turbo. There are commercial kits that do just that right now, but it's always fun to make your own. :drive:

Anyway, WELCOME to the site and have fun!

PaCemkr86
01-08-2009, 08:04 PM
WELCOME to the forum..

what are you plans for this car?? Just street driving and or a few trips to the dragstrip..

Art1984
01-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I plan on a few trips to the drag strip a couple trips early and a couple trips late in the season when the weather is cool but not a regular thing for that I use my GSXR 1000, just drive it mostly, I can't believe the attention it gets around town. I guess I just want it to be a nice respectable daily driver.

WELCOME to the forum..

what are you plans for this car?? Just street driving and or a few trips to the dragstrip..

PaCemkr86
01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
forget about the mythbusters stuff... when your ready to get serious, look into adding an alky system

IL KIM
01-09-2009, 09:31 PM
The one on the left is the factory OEM. Oops, just realized they are for 86/87. Not sure about hot air cars. Need any?

Keller
01-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Oops, just realized they are for 86/87.
Same injectors for 84-87.