PDA

View Full Version : Body mount bushings

Joono
01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Hello all.
Having an issue with the rear end of my 1984 Regal. Recently had the differential replaced due to the old locking up. Now, I have a lot of noise coming out of the rear end every time I hit any dip or bump in the road, and living in the northern midwest this winter isn't helping matters much.

So, I took the beast to a couple of shops, and they all told me that the body mount bushings were bad, and I'd need to have them replaced. So, I got a set of the Energy Suspension bushing, and began the work. Here's where my second problem occurred: the first bolt I started pulling out completely snapped off (due to rust; only half of the washer was left as well). So, I'm not sure where to go at this point.

:dunno:Any ideas? Thanks!

Keller
01-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Given the age of the cars, this is not unusual. Especially if the car has not been a garage queen all its life.

There are a lot of different issues that happen that cause mount problems. Sometimes bolts break. Sometimes the threaded area on the frame spins and the bolt won't come out. Sometimes its so rusted noting works. Or it just breaks out, and you can't thread a bolt back in.

The best solution might be to cut that section of the top of the frame out and replace it. There is someone who has a ready-made solution just for this purpose.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/

"ElectraJim" has had some of these installed on his daily driver GN that probably had a quarter-million miles or so. When he went to up date a few mounts, a bolt or two broke, and a nut spun. So he found this solution. He paid someone else to wield the torch.

Let's face it; these cars weren't supposed to last forever.

FWIW, I believe the Energy Suspension bushings are probably a little stiffer than they need to be. You may still be able to get the factory bushings. And your car was probably missing several right from the factory by design...for that smooth Buick ride. :brows:

81 elky
01-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I replaced my g body bushings with the energy suspension pieces as well, but that was after I found that while some of the factory pieces are still available, the number 3 bushing (different than the others, under the front floor pans) is not. Also, the 'GNX' bushing is no longer available either, but a pair came with the poly pieces. No rust issues here in Texas, so I can't speak to that.

dmoberg
11-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Mr Keller, you say some of the body mounts are intentionally left out. I have an 86 GN. Can you (or anyone else) tell me how many body mounts I should have installed? I've been a bit confused even after looking at the diagrams in the manual? Position 4, 3, 5, and 7? Is that it? No position 1 or 2? Might be elementary to most but it confuses me a bit.
Thanks

Keller
11-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Not sure I understand your question.

Some of the mounts are at the front of the car where the core support and front of the frame are. (i.e under the engine area) None of those were left out in the Buicks (nor could they be) because they are required for structure. The only ones left out are some under the frame (not over it) to make it flex easier and give a softer ride.

The #5 is the "GNX" bushing that is not on any of the Regals, save for the GNX, from the factory. It only sits on top of the frame.

Keller
11-29-2009, 11:49 PM
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/bodygauges/interiorpage.html

Several articles here.