PDA

View Full Version : clacking on top end

emtrucking
01-29-2009, 12:06 AM
have a little noise on top of engine sounds like rocker or lifter clacking on fresh rebuild new crank, pistons,same lifters same cam is this souund normal?

broke1
01-29-2009, 12:49 AM
New crank and pistons but same cam and lifters?Roller cam?If not,theres a possible problem.

Did you deck the block and heads?If so,might be pushrod length.Need more info.....

Oil psi is low on these engines,12-15 at hot idle is acceptable,190 on temp for a hot day,a little warmer with the ac on.

Keller
01-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Noises after a rebuild are not normal. There could be many reasons.

- Were the heads or deck resurfaced?
- Were the lifters and pushrods put back into the same places they were used originally?
- Were the lifters soaked in oil before reinstallation?
- Was your oil system primed on restart?

emtrucking
01-29-2009, 07:37 PM
yes engine is roller,the clacking is not bad or to alarming but I hate noises. I think im focusing to hard on it ,but I payed a well established local GN shop to do work ,and they said a little noise is normal for a roller motor. I payed good money and want to be shure.
My car is running 200.deg but I need to change radiator and just took car home and have not ran engine until I can put new radiator in.
Car has yellow spring in hv pump and runs 60psi @ idle cold and 8-10psi hot @200.deg with 10-30w and pf52 filter cars runs great and am happy but nervous.
Also cars turbo is turned way down due to the fact that when they got car together they found out why motor lower end failed the turbo was just about maxed out so once all is well and I get $ ill go back to get methonal injection and a scanmaster.

Thanks for all your help

Keller
01-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Not having anything to be able to read your data is not a good idea. A scan tool of some sort is absolutely critical to make sure you don't...well...you already know what happens. :ow: