PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Problem

mike2buick
02-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Started my engine 1 hour ago runs great except!!! I installed a new set of Champion heads and used the steel composite head gaskets, I guess thats what they are called ( they look like 4 or 5 gaskets attached together) first time I have ever used these. I have a ARP studs, and was told by Arp tech department to torque to 85 pounds using oil on threads. both head gaskets are leaking. First thing I did was check torque on one of the bolts I could get to and it was under 65 pounds!!! 1st question if I retorque all the bolts back to 85 will the leaking stop and seal? If the heads stop leaking once they are retorqued can they give me problems later? or should I pull out the engine and go back to the old fel pro gaskets I have always used?

PaCemkr86
02-04-2009, 11:54 PM
what is the headgasket part # ?

Keller
02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Thought the ARPs had a retouque sequence to avoid this problem?

mike2buick
02-05-2009, 01:19 AM
I bought the heads at Cottons I'm sure Jack sent me the right ones but I will check out the part # tomorrow at the office. I just finished doing one side and they needed to be retorqued for sure. I retorqued them GM sequence I am wondering if I should have put sealant!?!? You figure 85 pounds is right? or should I go a few pounds more? I would hate to do all this and still end up pulling the motor.

Thanks Guys

PaCemkr86
02-05-2009, 01:29 AM
im pretty sure after you retorque them you will be fine.. I run cometics on all my turbo buick engines. and they do require a retorque

mike2buick
02-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Thanks I'll sleep much better tonight, I will do the other side tomorrow.

broke1
02-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Should be 85ft lb with moly lube,30 wt oil will be higher and is not reccomended.Read the directions:slap:

Keller
02-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Might also be worth considering the GM sealant tabs used in the Cadillac 4100 aluminum motors to cure coolant leaks.

Regardless, review the directions. The info for moly and oil is different!

mike2buick
02-05-2009, 08:24 AM
I used moly lube and torqued to 85 and followed ARP's instructions. I'll torque everything up again which should stop the leak and if I still see coolant I'll try the tabs. How good are those tabs? some of the head studs I was able to get 1/4 to 1/2 turn to bring them to spec. I just hope that it's normal with cometic gaskets. Last night my buddy came over and my torque wrench is accurate.

turbodave38
02-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Started my engine 1 hour ago runs great except!!! I installed a new set of Champion heads and used the steel composite head gaskets, I guess thats what they are called ( they look like 4 or 5 gaskets attached together) first time I have ever used these. I have a ARP studs, and was told by Arp tech department to torque to 85 pounds using oil on threads. both head gaskets are leaking. First thing I did was check torque on one of the bolts I could get to and it was under 65 pounds!!! 1st question if I retorque all the bolts back to 85 will the leaking stop and seal? If the heads stop leaking once they are retorqued can they give me problems later? or should I pull out the engine and go back to the old fel pro gaskets I have always used?

When you say oil on the threads, you mean the top threads right? Please tell me you didn't use oil on the threads that fasten to the block (AND PENATRATE THE WATER JACKET). :duh:

The threads that penatrate the block require a sealer not oil. If you did seal those threads, ignore my post.

mike2buick
02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I put sealant on studs where it was needed and molly lube on the nut. I also spoke to my buddy and he told me the same. Those gaskets must be retorqued, anyway its 20 below zero out here so I have time, but it's still a pain in the *** I should have stuck with Fel Pro.

Thanks for the help guys

PaCemkr86
02-05-2009, 12:50 PM
when your done the cometics will be worth the extra work.. trust me

Ts86ttype
02-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Phil, Are you putting on the cometics dry or with some copper spray sealent? Also how are you preping the head and block surface? I have heard that cometics need a mirror like surface to seal... Tom G.

PaCemkr86
02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
yes, the block and heads need to have a mirror like surface and i also use copper coat

mike2buick
02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
The block and heads were mirror like but I didn't use any sealant!!! I figured they would seal like an intake manifold gasket.
Any way I'm about to find out and I'll learn for the next time from experience.
thanks Phil