PDA

View Full Version : viper alarm removal

NOIZEOF86
03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
1986 t type....previous owner installed a viper alarm. Removed the bottom dash pad underneath the drivers side to see if i could track down the modules for the alarm/remote start. I found em', buried beneath a myriad of spliced, cut, jumbled up, confusing mess of (im assuming to be) aftermarket wiring. If anyone can help me make sense of all this it'd be a big help. I'm not familiar with the components (and their locations) of car alarms/remote starts etc. The car also has a stereo amplifier in the trunk, smc alcohol kit, scanmaster....am i possibly seeing wiring for that crap too, in that mess of wires?? Anyway, im trying to do a clean removal of all of that eventually, but im focusing on the alarm right now. I'd just take it to an auto accessories shop to have it done, but i'm afraid that they'd just disable it and wont wanna deal with complete removal for liability reasons since its got so much other crap goin on under there...haha. Help me if ya can!! thanx, layke.

P.S. Heck, if anyone could just post a pic for me, of what the underneath of a STOCK regals drivers side dash looks like that'd help too.

Ts86ttype
03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
You could be seeing wiring for the scanmaster and SMC. They need a power feed from an ignition source, like the fuse panel... I would say the first place to go would be viper alarm sight and see if you can get the instructions on the install of your particular unit and then uninstall it a piece at a time. Is there a viper alarm dealer in your area that can help you with the install instructions? I could take pics under the dash but without knowing what they hooked into I would be guessing at what to take a pic of... Try the couple of ideas I mentioned and get back to us... Tom G.

Keller
03-02-2009, 12:14 AM
http://www.viper.com/Support/

Look under "Guides". If you know the model, looking at the manual might give you some idea of where things are connected.

NOIZEOF86
03-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Cool, thanx Tom, thanx Keller, i'll get back with ya

diomedes
04-07-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/281079-need-dash-pics.html

this was on the other forum, hopefully they help you out..

Best way to start is by locating the brain, unplug it and follow each wire starting at the origin and tracing it back. I just went through all that trouble recently by cutting out an old clifford alarm and installing a new viper alarm. I would definitely suggest doing it yourself. The guy had taken the car to alarm shop and they never removed the alarm just cut its wires and bridged the stock wires. Bad thing was they used a 20 guage wire for the ignition wire. It looked almost as if it was a fuse that wire was so thin.

the other thing that you need to cautious with is the ignition relay if they have one... I had cut it out and could not figure out why the car did not want to start for the longest time.

here is the main harness...

Purple (+) Starter output to starter (starter side)
Green Starter input from ingnition (key side)
Red (+) High current 12V input
Orange (+) Output to accessory circuit
Pink (+) Output to primary ignition circuit
Red (+) (30A) High current 12V input
Pink/White (+) Output to second ignition circuit
Red/White (+) (30A) High current 12V input