PDA

View Full Version : Head removal

chadly
03-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I was just curios if there was a "tech info article" on removing the heads? I searched through the section but I could not find one. If you know of one could you please post up the link?

Thanks in advance.
Chad

87geeinn
03-09-2009, 05:00 AM
For a hot-air or intercooled car? For a intercooled car...

No, there's not a tech article dealing specifically for this that I'm aware of. However, the rough and short partial version (not in any particular order) of it goes something like this:

-disconnect battery neg. wire and orange ECM wire
-remove air intake plumbing
-detach all elect sensor connectors (don't forget crank sensor down by the balancer)
-drain coolant, remove upper radiator hose from intake and heater lines from intake
-remove intercooler, brackets, and up-pipe
-remove crossover pipe
-remove downpipe
-remove associated turbo plumbing, mounting bracket, etc.
-remove serpentine belt, alternator, A/C compressor, tensioner pulley, accessory bracket, etc.
-remove both exhaust manifolds (oil dipstick, turbo can remain attached to pass. header if you're careful)
-remove intake (vacuum hoses, fuel feed and return lines, etc.)
-remove valve covers and this will then allow you to move the wiring harness/loom out of the way
-remove sensor grounds from back of pass. head (two bolts)
-remove rocker arms then pushrods
-remove heads (8 bolts each)

This is by no means an all-inclusive list, but it should at least get you headed in the right direction.

Keller
03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
...and throw stock head bolts in the trash! They are a torque-to-yield type and can not be reused.

There are aftermarket ones (i.e. ARP) that can be reused. But the stock ones can not be.