PDA

View Full Version : 1985 smog pump?

Hardcore HP
03-09-2009, 01:26 AM
I'm rebuilding the an '85 GN and was wondering if was ever equipped with a smog pump? This car did not have a smog pump, or cat converter on it when it was brought into my shop. The converter was replaced by a poorly-fabricated exhaust tube bolted to the factory flanges. The cat's original heat shield is still bolted to the undercarriage. If I install a new performance cat, such as one from Magnaflow or Dynomax, will I have to add a smog pump? There are no fittings on any of the headers for air injection, so I'm assuming these cars were not equipped with air pumps in 1985. My customer wants to pass all required emissions tests.

Thanks,
Mike

87geeinn
03-09-2009, 03:05 AM
... was wondering if was ever equipped with a smog pump?

No.

As far as emissions are concerned, these cars were equipped with an EGR system, a PCV, cat converter (obviously), and gas vapor canister. Not sure about the '85 "hot air" setup, but on the later '86-'87 models, the passenger side valve cover had a tube leading from the breather to the inlet bell of the turbo to suck additional vapors from the crankcase.

www.turbotweak.com offers a fairly inexpensive emissions chip that will aid in passing emissions testing, especially if you're located in CA.

pfredricks
03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Not sure about the '85 "hot air" setup, but on the later '86-'87 models, the passenger side valve cover had a tube leading from the breather to the inlet bell of the turbo to suck additional vapors from the crankcase.
The hot air cars are the same with the breather tube as well as all the others mentioned. Just a different routing and configuration, the tube is on the driver's side valve cover and leads into the plastic air duct just before the throttle body.:thumbsup: