PDA

View Full Version : how far can i push this setup?

nixturbosix
03-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Ok i rebuilt the 3.8 stock motor from my T about 1 year ago. And i going to be installing it soon. i had to put on hold due to me joining the USAF. But thats another story. anyway this what I have done. Stock block, stock bore just rehoned new forged TRW pistons&rings with coated skirts, Blueprinted and balanced with new pistons, ported and polished stock 8445 heads. Comp cam with .459 lift int. exh. and 112 lobe sep. intake ported to match heads. stock crank and rods. head gaskets are just regular felpro blues with ARP head bolts. I am going to upgrade the fuel and induction system and put on a larger turbo and alky if needed. Along with susp. mods. I just want to know how fast can I make this go and still survive(with proper upgrades of course) im not looking to go fast for cheap, i just wonder if i messed up by not using a girdle or steel caps? Because when i built it orginally i had no plans of trying to go low 11's or faster maybe. But I have changed my mind. i think as long as im careful and take the proper measures ill be ok.

P.S. I assmbled this motor at the engine machine shop i worked at before i joined the military, so if you have any other question i can answer them because i built this motor.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so long winded.:pat:

Keller
03-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Low 11's or 11.0 is pretty much the accepted ruler for when the bottom end stresses are definitely questionable for the bottom end. You reach the point where you explore the limits of the stock main caps, etc. The GSCA TSM class has proven that a stock block (NOT the stock bottom end) can be pushed much further than 11.0...with some extra work and parts. And as was shown in a recent issue of GM High Tech Performance, a TSM car (with some goodies not legal for the TSM class) was taken into the 8 second zone with a stock block. Naturally, not with the stock main caps. And likely sporting a girdle as well.

As to what you want to do: It depends on your goals and how often you intend to race. Just don't become a member of the DOTC!
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/blocks/DOTC.html

nixturbosix
03-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Nice pics, thats def. a major ouch. This will be a street car but not my only driver i have another car thats good on gas and what not. But it will be driven on the street often as i love driving it. But will probably frequent the track too. Being that the base im at is only 10 mins from a drag strip...to bad it a 1/8 miles and there is a 1/4 a couple hours away as well. but first i think im going to do all the other mods like suspension, trans and upgrade the fuel system and see what i can get out of her with stock turbo for now. then when i put the turbo on the rest of car will be ready. thanks for the info keller

Keller
03-21-2009, 12:34 AM
With some work, a stock turbo can take you to 12.0 second quarters. Extrapolate to the 1/8th numbers. Regardless, I think you'll be safe for awhile.