PDA

View Full Version : Wondering what's best for high tens low 11's

MCDEVOE
01-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Hello,
In the past I've received great information on these forum. I'm a new member and have a few questions reguarding upgrades to my 87 GN. I want the car to remain streetable and still meet my goal, if possible. I currently have the following; te60 turbo,two stock intercoolers welded together, 214 214 @ .50 duration cam (possibly to big), upgraded rods, stock heads (some work done?), stock throttle and plemun, double pumper, 60# injectors, 3" downpipe, entire bottom frozen to streghten, race chip red armstrong 107, some other minor mods. I currently run the 1/8 mile at 7.80s @ 91 mph, 60 ft 1.83. My goals are 7.0 to 7.2's. Considering new alumium heads and different cam and some intake work :confused: .
Is this the best investment and what do you guys recommend?

Keller
01-22-2005, 09:34 PM
I currently run the 1/8 mile at 7.80s @ 91 mph, 60 ft 1.83.

Hmmm. What fuel and what boost are your running? How about tires?

A 7.80 is a mid to low-12 in the 1/4. A little softer that I would have expected for your combo. You have some pretty meaty pieces in there! That 107 chip requires some BIG boost (and _strong_ fuel) to work. If not tuned properly, the 107 will drown the car in fuel.

As with anything, "it depends". How much do you want to spend? Will need of a rollcage be an issue? Do you use race fuel? Is this a street driven car or trailered? etc., etc.

A larger turbo is probably warranted, but a better intercooler might be a better first step. Your fuel system is already adequate for a moderate turbo upgrade, but an intercooler upgrade (frontmount?) would improve what you have. That combo would definitely benefit from good (not cheap) headwork if it doesn't already have it.

You didn't talk about the driveline (converter/tranny/rear) at all, but you might need a bit more stall to let the turbo wake up a bit.

Suspension/tire/wheel upgrades are one way to help an existing combo a bit. Your 60' times look a bit below what I'd expect as well, but it may be due to launch technique or type or tire.

On race fuel, with the right converter, tires, turbo...and some other details...this car can be a high-10 car easily.

I'm still worried about the current ET's, though. My unopened T with a TA49 and 36 lb. injectors has turned 7.5x 1/8ths...same MPH.

MCDEVOE
01-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Hey,

Thanks for responding. I'm running 112 oct fuel and Mickey Thompson et streets. I also have 90/10 drag shocks on the front and 50\50 on the rear, an airbag in the pass. side rear. The Trans has been built the best a stock Trans can be without going to billet parts ie. drums ect.. When the track is in good shape, the car hooks great but seems to really come alive around the sixty foot mark. Some have told me, "it's the cam due", and some say "You need head and intake work man". I'm willing to invest some money but want the most bang for the buck, like most. Your correct on the mph. My buddy runs 7.60 to 7.70's @92 to 93. I recently ran this week and managed 92.4 and only a 7.81 1/8th. Sixty foot was 2.01 mainly because of track conditions. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Keller
01-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Still don't know what boost level you are running. Curious if you've run a 108 chip, too.

I did not have good luck with the MT ET Streets. Very inconsistent. Switched to the Hoosier Quick Time Pros - much better. This may be part of why your 60's are a little weak.

Part may be the converter stall. I don't know your launch technique or suspension setup.

The cam is large. Sounds like the Erson grind, possibly. Headwork and a bigger turbo wouldn't hurt, but it won't help low end. And you'd still likely be in need of more converter stall.