PDA

View Full Version : MAF pipe that fits?

Keller
04-01-2009, 12:58 AM
I have gone through a couple of different MAF pipes over the years. And frankly, never been terribly happy with any of them. It always seems that the alignment I can achieve with them is...well...it leaves something to be desired.

The first one I used was either from ATR or BGC. It was a unique setup, with one angle in the pipe and a cleverly placed dent installed from the factory to clear the alternator bracket or pulley. This one had a habit of zinging the bracket, no matter how much I trimmed the hose on the turbo inlet bell side or adjusted things. A torque strap did nothing, either.

I now have another "curved" one. It has done better. But since the install of my TA61, is seems sooo close to the alt bolt and that bracket...its all going to happen again. I've already cut that bolt back to its minimum. And the hose on the inlet bell is as short as can be. The pipe is basically touching the inlet bell inside. Note that I'm using a bell from Limit this time, which is shorter. So this is even more of a mystery...

Short of going with a corrugated hose, anyone have a suggestion? Right now I'm thinking of the setup from TRCP (buickgn.com). If nothing else, it might keep things away from the problem area.

Anyone have this setup who can comment?

Royal-T
04-01-2009, 05:54 AM
What size pipe are you installing? and yes, if the smaller 3" version, i think Mark Hueffman's version will definitely work for you. his MAF tube is straight and all the bends are done with the rubber couplers.....

...i have the 3.5" and it gets pretty tight between the 4" opening of the turbo and the 3" up pipe - but it does fit.... mine did get chewed up a lil' a while ago from the stud that holds the radiator hose support bracket.... best thing i could think of was to put a vacuum port cap over the stud. It serves its purpose.

-Aaron

Keller
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes, I am running the 3". Still using the stock MAF. And I cut that bolt back even with the nut to avoid issues.

Right now I have a piece of vacuum hose flattened and stuffed between the pipe and that nut to prevent it from goring the pipe. Its that tight. And I can only imagine what a good hard launch or two would do to it.

That pipe might be the answer. I think ElectraJim uses one. Might have to have a look at it.

How anyone can fit a 4" pipe in there, I have no idea... :ugh:

larrym
04-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I jamed a Full throttle 4 inch Maf on mine.
Its a tight fit......
A wiggle here a push there, it got a little scratched up but its in.

Keller
04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Just from the sig picture I can see how tight the fit is. :faint:

I'll stick with something cocktail-straw sized for now...if I can get it to fit!

larrym
04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Here is another angle to see how tight it really is :screwy:
I have my air filter sucking air in from below homemade cold air
got a 4 inch elbow from a truck distributor.

Things spool pretty quick.....

Royal-T
04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow. just think how tight it would be if you had a 3" up pipe:nope:

larrym
04-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Plenum spacer would be required......

Keller
04-01-2009, 11:49 PM
I do, as it comes with the Precision stock location IC. And I am running a RJC 'power plate', but that isn't that thick.

PaCemkr86
04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
the ones RJC sells fit perfect

Keller
04-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I now see that the longer Limit Engineering bell is part of what is causing the issue. The older ATR bell that I had used with my TA49 was shorter, but it required a small team of people and a bit of lube to fit a hose on to it for the MAF pipe. Not sure if I sold that one or not. :blah:

Keller
04-03-2009, 11:15 PM
What I might do to remedy this is to shorten the existing pipe by about an inch on the turbo side. It seems that looking at the way things are sitting, and measuring where the bracket (a remnant from an old ATR air intake system) mounted to the MAF hangs, its mount hole is about an inch further to the driver's side than the threaded hole in the stock "A" shaped bracket it is designed to be mounted to.

The pipe is polished stainless, so it'll have to be done carefully. I have a suspicion that some pipes like this are created primarily to be used with TE style housings, and thus being a wee bit longer is perfectly fine.

Keller
04-16-2009, 01:57 PM
So...here is what I've done:

I have purchased both a Huffeman pipe and a RJC 3" pipe. I also purchased a full set of matched IC hoses with the RJC pipe; so that one will be tried second.

The Huffeman pipe fits my setup well. Like any part on these cars, some slight tweaking of the hoses helped things fit better. The chrome is nice. :tup: It makes me want to get my Precision IC up-pipe chromed now; I'd already paid to have it professionally polished. (These cars sure can be a money pit, can't they... :rant: )

The pic of the pipes is of the RJC and the Huffeman pipes.

PaCemkr86
04-16-2009, 06:51 PM
lets see pics with the RJC unit

Keller
04-16-2009, 11:36 PM
In time, in time. Next mission is to finally install my PowerLogger and WBO2, (plus maybe polish some of the grime off) and get a few passes out of the new turbo. I have to know what this thing will run.

And I have a date with the dyno next week.

...then I'll try the RJC pipe and their cool black hoses with blue linings.

PaCemkr86
04-16-2009, 11:50 PM
sounds good Scott... keep us updated..

IL KIM
04-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Looks nice Scott! Does your PTE up pipe hit your hood liner like min? My brushed aluminum is getting shiny on the top.

Keller
04-17-2009, 10:08 PM
I had mine polished before I put it on, anyway. But I do sense that it might be touching the hood liner a bit.

Tempted to chrome it in the future...