PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Carb to inj??

jaret1981
04-22-2009, 11:37 PM
I am new to the turbo buick thing so sorry to start off with, I might have some dumb questions.
I just bought a 79 Turbo Regal and I am wanting to upgrade it to SFI. I am wondering if the intake of a 86 would bolt up? Would I need to switch heads also? Any other info would be great.

kenmosher
04-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Everything will bolt up, but it's the electrical and fuel system that will be the challenge.

Mechanical:
- Turbo
- Headers
- Intake manifold
- Throttle Body
- Plumbing
- Intercooler
- Wastegate actuator
- Downpipe
- Exhaust
- Headers/exhaust manifolds
- Fuel pump
- Fuel lines
- Injectors
- Fuel rails
- Regulator

Electrical
- Ignition system (assuming you do DIS)
- Cam Sensor
- Crank Sensor
- IAC
- TPS
- Boost solenoid
- Fuel relays
- ECM
- MAF
- Ignition module
- etc.

81 elky
04-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Careful Ken, you might discourage him.

jaret1981
04-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Thank you Ken that really helps. Yeah I figured the fuel and electrical would be my big problem. I have found a wiring harness, so I think that should help some.

kenmosher
04-24-2009, 09:32 AM
The wiring harness will help a TON ...

However, make no mistake, it's still going to be a big project.

jaret1981
04-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah I know it is going to be a big project, now I have noticed that the newer blocks had better oil passages. Do you think the bottom end will hold up or should I re due the whole bottom end?

kenmosher
04-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Well, at that point ... you might be money ahead just to buy the car you want. Or find a donor car/engine/trans ...

A complete drivetrain can sometimes be found on the boards occasionally, but anything that is in decent condition is going to run ~$5K

usetaboost
05-13-2009, 07:17 AM
To put it in perspective, I've read that it has taken a total of 2 months:quote: to successfully do an entire drivetrain conversion the right way with hand tools. You will need an entire donor car to do the swap correctly. Your wimpy pegleg rear won't be up to the task. If you are gonna rip into a car to practically bare bones and do everything, you just as well find a complete project car and sell your 79 TR to someone that would appreciate it-like me. Just trying to help out. But to me my time is worth something and would rather put it into something I REALLY want and is at least worth the money in parts!

usetaboost
05-13-2009, 07:18 AM
and for 5k youshould be able to find a running TR 84-87