PDA

View Full Version : no oil pressure

mustanghunter7
04-26-2009, 02:17 PM
i just installed a rjc bigger oil filter adaptor and changed the oil and now i have no oil pressure and am getting a ticking sound from the valve covers there are no leaks that i can see and there was oil pressure before i started just cant figure out what is causing this problem also when i have changed the oil in the past at first there would be no oil pressure for a little bit but then would get pressure after a bit

mustanghunter7
04-26-2009, 05:18 PM
ok well i removed the cam sensor so i could pime the oil pump but now i cant figure out how to reset the cam sensor right now the car starts for a second and then just dies i read the procidure on how to set it up but i just dont really understand what to do could some one please explain it for a dummy

mustanghunter7
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
i have tried to set the cam sensor several times with no luck

1st i get cylinder 1 to tdc by removing the front drivers side spark plug and hold a finger sliglty in the hole and rotate the serpinten belt till air comes out of the cylinder and then stops which puts the timing mark at 0 then i rotate it another 25 deg my having a pice of tape before the mark 1.45in long iam turning this clockwise then i get the cam sensor to read just above 0 volts by loosing it then turing it till i get 0 volts then tightin it back up but when i try to start it up it turns over but wont run but for a second or so any idea what i am doing wrong?

mustanghunter7
04-26-2009, 07:49 PM
oh and i do have oil pressure now but have created this problem in doing so:doh:

Keller
04-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Clockwise facing the motor?

Did you touch the cam sensor at all?

mustanghunter7
04-26-2009, 09:39 PM
yes i turned it 25 deg clockwise facing the motor then set the cam sensor to get zero volts coming off of the blue wire then tried to start it and runs for a second then dies

Keller
04-28-2009, 05:14 AM
Hmm...sounds like things are right.

Is it possible you sync'ed it on the wrong stroke?

mustanghunter7
04-28-2009, 01:43 PM
maybey how can i be sure its being scyned in the right stroke?

turbopowered68
04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
rotate the engine one more time then try again.

Keller
04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Clarification: Bring the crank around to the mark again, set the cam sensor to 0 again, and try again.

You may be on the wrong stroke.

mustanghunter7
04-28-2009, 04:32 PM
ok so bring the crank around to the mark that is 1.45 in past tdc for cylinder #1 then remove the cam position sensor and then reinstall it and adjust it to get the 0 volt reading agin? what is the proper direction i should be inserting the cam sensor in at?

IL KIM
04-28-2009, 07:57 PM
They are trying to see if you are on the end of the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. So rotating the crank 360 degrees or 1 full turn would take you to TDC.

Rotate the sensor full CLOCKWISE till the voltmeter reads around 7.5 volts.
Slowly rotate the sensor COUNTER clockwise until the voltage drops to 0 volts. Then secure the sensor.

Keller
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
So long as the cam sensor harness is pointing OK, that should work. If its pointing into the intake or somewhere where it will be hard to work with, you might have to pull it and reset its position.

mustanghunter7
04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
could there posibly be a problem with the cam sensor it self? is there a wat to test it? i noticed that when i have the cam sensor out and the cap off if i look in the small square hole "note the window on the top side" but the other hole that is much smaller on the top part than when i spin it some times it moves freely with the part underneth it and some times it does not is this an issue?

mustanghunter7
04-28-2009, 09:40 PM
yeah the wireing on the sensor the way i had it positoned was pointing out not towards the intake i must have done this procidure over 10 times now and just cant figure out what is going wrong

Keller
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
"note the window on the top side" but the other hole that is much smaller on the top part than when i spin it some times it moves freely with the part underneth it and some times it does not is this an issue?
Hmm...

So are you saying that the "shutter wheel"/interrupter ring with the notch does not always move when the shaft driven by the gear underneath (very similar to a distributor would be) moves? If it does not, that is very bad. It may mean the key on the wheel was damaged at some point.

You may need this:http://rjcracing.com/RJC_Buick_Products/CamSensor/camsensor.html

mustanghunter7
04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
yeah i think ill give that a try then see what happens thanks will let you know how it works out

Royal-T
04-30-2009, 06:02 PM
i just installed a rjc bigger oil filter adaptor and changed the oil and now i have no oil pressure and am getting a ticking sound from the valve covers there are no leaks that i can see and there was oil pressure before i started just cant figure out what is causing this problem also when i have changed the oil in the past at first there would be no oil pressure for a little bit but then would get pressure after a bit

More specs please which adapter did you get and ARE YOU RUNNING AN OIL COOLER?