PDA

View Full Version : Maf

Tiger T Type
01-21-2005, 07:46 PM
I know you guys know this but I'm new to these Regals. I have a bad mass air flow sensor. What is the best one to get? I have a K&N filter.

Thanks

Keller
01-24-2005, 02:50 AM
I would suggest the LS1 MAF and MAF Translator route. This will convert your car over to use a MAF from a modern vehicle with the LS1 motor. More reliable and better flowing. Available from Full Throttle Speed www.fullthrottlespeed.com as well as other vendors.

Vacuum 6
01-24-2005, 01:51 PM
I would suggest the LS1 MAF and MAF Translator route. This will convert your car over to use a MAF from a modern vehicle with the LS1 motor. More reliable and better flowing. Available from Full Throttle Speed www.fullthrottlespeed.com as well as other vendors.

What’s better DFI or MAF translator?

Keller
01-26-2005, 04:37 PM
That's a "walk to school or carry your lunch" kind of question.

The original DFI is dated, first of all. And it replaces the whole ECM. And it eliminates the need for a MAF completely. Setup is complicated. Not sure what one would run now (are they even sold new?) but they were a 4-figure investment. There are much better engine controllers than the DFI out now. Easier to set up. Still, much different than the MAF Translator.

The MAF Translator, even the one that provides some 'adjustment' ability, is nowhere near $1k+...even with the MAF. But its not a full engine computer, either. Its simply a...well...MAF Translator. Enabling the newer types of MAFs to hook up to our cars.

Vacuum 6
01-26-2005, 05:12 PM

The original DFI is dated, first of all. And it replaces the whole ECM. And it eliminates the need for a MAF completely. Setup is complicated. Not sure what one would run now (are they even sold new?) but they were a 4-figure investment. There are much better engine controllers than the DFI out now. Easier to set up. Still, much different than the MAF Translator.

The MAF Translator, even the one that provides some 'adjustment' ability, is nowhere near $1k+...even with the MAF. But its not a full engine computer, either. Its simply a...well...MAF Translator. Enabling the newer types of MAFs to hook up to our cars.

I am looking to upgrade my ECM without dropping $1000s. A used DFI sells for about $300-400. How much is the Translator plus, new MAF sensor, etc…whole nine yards (I have 009s)? The DFI gives you complete control and the Translator offers some control? In your opinion what is the better system?

cpushrink1
01-30-2005, 06:31 PM

New larger maf's = more power, then hone the intake to accept more air= better combustion.

Keller
01-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Translator is $179, Translator Plus (adds adjustability) is $249. MAF is $85.

See http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/Dynamic/items.asp?CartId=10667792CJRSJ-EVEREST-43&Cc=TRAN

This is really not like adding a DFI. Cheaper, and a more direct, long term solution for a failed MAF. Plus its an upgrade.

DFI is potentially an upgrade, but much more complicated to install/tune. More expensive. Adds adjustability, but removes some of the simplicity of a stock system. Unless you are shooting for sub-11s, not worth it IMHO. See http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/DFI_cat.pdf

There are newer systems than a DFI out now (FelPro, BigStuff3, etc.) Though I think the DFI has had a few updates over the years.