PDA

View Full Version : a/c cool not cold??

nixturbosix
06-18-2009, 11:22 PM
ok i converted my AC from r-12 to R134a. evac. and vacuumed sytem down. then charged with 80% of the original system. And with the blower motor on number 3 setting i can only get it to cool to about 60 degrees. with it on lowest setting it will get about 52 degrees. while driving down the highway. I just think it should be colder id be happy with 40s. now i have converted to a Fbody rad. with stocker fan with trans cooler and oil cooler in front of condensor. Could it be im not getting enough air over the condensor to cool it properly? Granted im in texas and it was 93 today with around 50% humidity. something just does not seem right. and before when the r-12 worked very well(before it emptied itself after sitting for 3 years) any ideas?

kenmosher
06-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Did you do the complete conversion? New dryer, orifice tube, etc?

I think R134a requires a different expansion valve (and fittings) too?

PaCemkr86
06-19-2009, 02:15 PM
do you have a FMIC ?
what orfice did you use?

Ts86ttype
06-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Might want to read through these posts http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9061 and http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/airconditioning/R12toR134a.html . Some good info here... Tom G.

nixturbosix
06-21-2009, 09:04 PM
no didnt do the complete conversion. i just evacuated what was left not much at all. and then changed fitting and refilled. after ive been reading what ya have done i figured i prolly shot myself in the foot. i prolly should get a dryer and orifice tube that is meant for it. and adjust the switch if i need to. and no i dont have a FMIC either. so if i left the system alone with original orifice tube then it wont work properly?

Keller
06-22-2009, 03:25 AM
With the stock orifice tube and no switch adjustment, it will never get as cold. Drier update is never a bad idea when doing a conversion, either.

I did the conversion per the article (avoided the Ester oil and used the R134a specific oil) and get nice cold air. Only gotchas were I broke the variable orifice tube I bought and ended up using a regular R134a one. Also, the fittings leaked when tightened all the way down. Had to leave one of them backed off a half-turn.

Do it right. You'll be happier.