PDA

View Full Version : difference between front and back tires too much?

deadlois
07-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I am looking into getting a set Nitto NT05's on 17 inch rims, they come in 275/40 for the rears, which I know is fine. But for the front, the only size that is close is the 235/40. Is this going to make the front drop a lot, or it should it be barely noticeable? I think, if my math is correct, that the front will be about a 24 1/2 inch tire while the rears will be a 25 3/4 inch tire. Also, will this dramatically affect handling etc? Thanks.

Keller
07-05-2009, 07:12 PM
By my calcs, the heights will be 25.66" and 24.40" rear. While the rear is not that far off, the front is pretty short. You may actually have issues getting a normal jack under the front. An inch difference between front and back is not terribly unusual, but the slight undersize in the rear will result in a bit of speedometer/odometer as well as lockup discrepancy. I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing me say that...

Other than the extra stresses that wider tires put on a stock suspension, I'm not sure there are any real concerns. The shorter fronts may change the steering feel, but they should be enough to give decent traction, etc.

deadlois
07-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks! I used an online calculator, and it said about a 1.2% difference for the speedo. I think it was like when it says I am going 60, I am really going just a lil bit over 59 mph. I will definitely look into the jack issue, but other than that it sounds like I am good. I could put the NT05 in the rear and get the NT555 in the front at a 245/45 since they are available in that size, but I am not sure if thats a good idea to mix and match those tires.Thanks again.