PDA

View Full Version : stand alone management

bowtiy
07-07-2009, 10:27 PM
i'm thinking about buying my cousins '87 G/N and it's got a stinger4 EMS sytem piggybacked off the stock computer.. i guess it gives complete control of fuel, spark, timing, rev limits, fans, etc.etc.. via laptop computer,,..is this a decent user friendly system to use?? car has a couple mods nothin to serious.. had an ls1 maf on it, now has a speed density tune on it...power levels after tune were 328whp and 364wtq. @ 12psi
any information on this will be appreciated
thanks

Keller
07-08-2009, 02:36 AM
http://www.enginemanagementsystem.com/ECU%20Specifications_files/Stinger.pdf

Sounds like his EMS is a waste of time for what you have. There are 600 HP TRs that use the stock ECM and run just fine. The Buick crowd has crafted ways to integrate enough tools to get to about that level without any gimmicks. I am already well over 400 HP, and have tuned cars to over 500 with no aftermarket ECM.

More powerful setups generally use the XFI, BigStuff3, DFI 7, MoTEC, etc. The unit you've mentioned does not seem to be very versatile and not even a good choice for one of these cars.

bowtiy
07-08-2009, 07:52 PM
i was told with the g/n's you basically need to burn a chip everytime you make a mod change.. what is this system lacking? seems like it would control most all the functions that would need to be tuned after a modification is made. i understand that these cars can make good power on the stock computer, but there is not a much of a g/n following here, so no one to ask or get info from.. i'm sure if the boost was bumped up to 16-18#'s it would make some decent numbers, but it is tuned for a heavy foot on low octane fuel..
thanks for respondin

Keller
07-08-2009, 10:40 PM
By "here" I imagine you mean wherever you reside.

Few of us have anyone that burns chips next door. Most get their chips from a source across the country. Still, it isn't that big of a deal. And most don't change their setup every day. In addition, some chips allow you to make changes to the fuel and spark settings while plugged into the car. All from the comfort of a laptop and a scan tool. And it doesn't matter if anyone withing a block or a thousand miles has a Turbo Regal, either. Despite the factory ECM being fairly primitive, many of the settings have parameters that everyone agrees where they need to be set. As far as the spark tables and such, if you have adjustment in both, and can adjust in both 1st/2nd gear and 3rd/4th gear, and don't need an aftermarket add-on system, you've got most of what you need.

Have a look at http://turbotweak.com/